Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

I went in a fair bit, but never bothered with their own beers as I found them all a bit boring. Technically very good, but boring. Tended to stick to guests

Pretty much sums it up for me.

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 15:13 ----------

I thought I'd posted on here before about the Sentinel and how they had misunderstood their local market.

It's such a shame that they are having problems, but not totally unexpected.

Not sure about misunderstanding the local market tho. Only time I've ever really seen it busy is on an SUFC match day, and they did brew Kop Lager. Which will be going down well I'm sure...

I don't mind businesses surviving, I resent them going into liquidation owing debts to suppliers and HMRC. I mind it even more when Directors loan accounts are in deficit. It basically means they've stolen money and their creditors will never get it back.

does it not say the directors are OWED £313k, not that they owe it?

are these people still trading ? Had a Groupon offer sent this morning.

hope it can still trade till a buyers found for peoples jobs

does it not say the directors are OWED £313k, not that they owe it?

It's a bit odd because in one paragraph it refers to them as creditors but further on down says that there are currently overdrawn director's loan accounts.

In my world an overdrawn directors loan means the Director has taken out more than he has put in, the loan account is overdrawn, and a beneficial loan is in place with all the tax and benefit implications that that brings. Maybe they don't really mean "overdrawn loan account" as HMRC views the phrase.

"Tax on loans

You may have to pay tax on director’s loans. Your company may also have to pay tax if you’re a shareholder (sometimes called a ‘participator’) as well as a director.

Your personal and company tax responsibilities depend on whether the director’s loan account is:

- overdrawn - you owe the company

- in credit - the company owes you"

was really busy on Friday tea-time. Hope they can turn things around. Sounds like they got things completely wrong with the set up costs rather than a lack of keen punters - ?

Still seems to be open (had a few beers there this week).

Still seems to be open (had a few beers there this week).

They've reduced their opening hours though which is a shame because I used to like popping in early doors during the week when it was quiet.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 15:13 ----------

Not sure about misunderstanding the local market tho. Only time I've ever really seen it busy is on an SUFC match day, and they did brew Kop Lager. Which will be going down well I'm sure...

Well it's surrounded by student accommodation and they started out with high priced beers and nothing obvious to attract student trade. They've since dropped the prices, but it's still quite pricey for students. Maybe a low ABV bitter or lager would have been a good idea. The Kop lager, as you say, is popular with footy fans.

Tried to nip in for a pint the other Saturday lunch whilst waiting for one of my kids.

Felt a bit of a tit to be turned away at the door because they had a wedding on.

It was done in a very pleasant and polite manner but my pride was hurt!

I understand the reasoning, but would I chance it again with the Rutland only 500 yards away?

Ended up in Fanny's at any rate...

Well it's surrounded by student accommodation and they started out with high priced beers and nothing obvious to attract student trade. They've since dropped the prices, but it's still quite pricey for students. Maybe a low ABV bitter or lager would have been a good idea. The Kop lager, as you say, is popular with footy fans.

They do a low ABV bitter (3.5% - Sheffield Bitter or similar name ) which is nice but it cost £3.50 last time I tried it. A bit steep I'd say.