Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

If we are going to be a bit beer geeky....I find 90% of beers that are described as cherry/orange/mango/coffee/coconut etc etc never deliver on their promise. Mainly because to do so would require tonnes of expensive fruit pulp.

The one exception being Omnipollo fatamorgana.

Pretty much anything Omniopollo brew delivers taste wise, and then some. I just need to get me a bottle of Jesus Mud.

Pretty much anything Omniopollo brew delivers taste wise, and then some. I just need to get me a bottle of Jesus Mud.

I agree with this. Dugges seem to manage it too. Must be a Scandanavian thing.

Thing that always amazes me is much of the fruit flavour could easily come from the right combination of hops if they really tried. Never really seen the point in adding citrus fruit to anything that isn't a stout. Thornbridge Mango Halcyon is a case in point. I'm not sure its that much more fruity than the original. And if you want to get chocoalate and coconut into a stout just use good quality malts and some sorachi ace.

Thing is, Alex knows his stuff so you'd think he would have corrected his Orange Stout buy now. I notices people checking in his Breakfast Stout recently too. But I haven't tried it.

Must admit that I really liked Mango Halcyon and thought it was a world away from the original. Some people I know said not enough mango but I enjoyed it as it still tasted like beer not a fruit smoothy like certain breweries kept doing with their DIPAs.....

My favourite Sentinel brew is RRG by a mile but I`m looking forward to this Breakfast stout.

Must admit that I really liked Mango Halcyon and thought it was a world away from the original. Some people I know said not enough mango but I enjoyed it as it still tasted like beer not a fruit smoothy like certain breweries kept doing with their DIPAs.....

My favourite Sentinel brew is RRG by a mile but I`m looking forward to this Breakfast stout.

Hahaha. Not a fan of the Cloudwater then Jemmo? Personally I really like them.

Was talking to Meg on one of the launch dates for Mango Halcyon and, apparently, the original version they came up with was very fruity - the IBU had dropped right down to 22. The brewer felt that this did not accurately reflect what someone expected from Halcyon so they scaled the fruit back and ramped up the hops. Don't get me wrong, I do like it. And I can appreciate the reasons for doing this. But I just think the end result didn't end up too different.

I should clarify that this is based on the twice I've had it. I have heard tell since that stockists of MH are advised to upend the kegs every so often to mix up the pulp. So it's entirely possible I've just had a couple where it has settled out and I didn't get enough fruit.

Looks like Sentinel might be heading for insolvency, large debts and letters gone out to creditors.

Still open at present though.

Always felt they were trying to run before it could walk - particularly with pricing.

Don't get me wrong, I like it as a place and the beer is ok. But they went straight in with Thornbridge prices, but don't have the product to match. Should have started a bit cheaper, made sure they were packed out every weekend and built up a reputation.

I went in a fair bit, but never bothered with their own beers as I found them all a bit boring. Technically very good, but boring. Tended to stick to guests

There was a piece of info I picked up on was a guy on BBC radio Sheffield reported this via social media this was happening and they replied saying no we will be ok.

Only saying what I've heard.

Hope they survive obviously been a lot of hard work done to set the business up.

Hope they survive obviously been a lot of hard work done to set the business up.

I don't mind businesses surviving, I resent them going into liquidation owing debts to suppliers and HMRC. I mind it even more when Directors loan accounts are in deficit. It basically means they've stolen money and their creditors will never get it back.

I thought I'd posted on here before about the Sentinel and how they had misunderstood their local market.

It's such a shame that they are having problems, but not totally unexpected.

I don't mind businesses surviving, I resent them going into liquidation owing debts to suppliers and HMRC. I mind it even more when Directors loan accounts are in deficit. It basically means they've stolen money and their creditors will never get it back.

Fair point.