Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

not saying too much as final legal formalities still in progress... Suffice to say the new venue will be handy, and have a Shakey-esque beer range only more so (i.e. similar quality of beers but more lines)

targeted opening end October...

Awesome - cheers mate

I heard something the other night where he might be going, but not saying anything just yet incase as I was only half paying attention and also had a few as well :)

Back to Sentinel - I was in there last Sunday (was really dead) and had a Great Heck ale in one of those awful half glasses with a funny shape and worked out at £4.20 a pint. Nearly fell off my chair.

Just tell them what glass you want otherwise they`ll serve it in the one that suits the beer best in their opinion. (At least it wasn`t a DoomBar one, eh?! ).

Pretty sure I told you where Chris was heading to......

Maybe the place will pick up again once the students return with lots of lovely loans to spend... :)

It does have location in its favour - there's very few decent ale houses on that side of town.

Hopefully their beers will improve to justify the price premium and they will make a success of it. It would be a pity if they went the way of the Firkin brew pubs - down into oblivion.

There's another thread on here with rumours of Mr Shaky's next destination...

I`d say that the Shakey is a way ahead of other locals for beer selection. Is it Adam that you know?

Abbeydale wise, they are improving. I missed the Double Deception but enjoyed their Hop Smash and Jim Rangeley`s Mango Rango is great.

Sounds like I might need to revisit the Abbeydale Tap that is the Rising Sun at Fulwood then if Abbeydale are stepping it up a bit? I've never liked the Moonshine stuff (far too pale and tasteless) and a lot of that other "similar" ale that they churn out (Daily Bread and such like - all much of a muchness I think). They used to have some occasional good guest beers on there though. Remember having one called "Cement" in there - can't remember who brews that, but it was well tasty!

Love the name of that "Jim Rangeley's Mango Rango!" Eeh! how do they make 'em up eh?

Only problem is, I can't go to the Rising Sun at Fulwood with my missus - because she likes a glass of wine and frankly, the wine was so awful in there that she refuses to go. And she's not particularly fussy - I ordered two different wines last time we went and tried them myself too. The white was horrible cheap stuff. So I went back and got her a glass of red - and that was so vile that it just wasn't drinkable. And you don't get a nice wine glass either - just one of them tiny little round things like you might get at school.

Simple stuff to get right I think. If your clientele aren't big on wine, just get some of those little bottles of wine which contain about 1 glass - then there's no wastage. But try and offer someone a little bit of choice, not just "red" or "white". Maybe a Savignon Blanc, a Chardonnay and a Pinot Grigio? And a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Merlot and a Malbec? I don't know why this is so rare to find in most pubs (compared to the South of England).

Sounds like I might need to revisit the Abbeydale Tap that is the Rising Sun at Fulwood then if Abbeydale are stepping it up a bit? I've never liked the Moonshine stuff (far too pale and tasteless) and a lot of that other "similar" ale that they churn out (Daily Bread and such like - all much of a muchness I think). They used to have some occasional good guest beers on there though. Remember having one called "Cement" in there - can't remember who brews that, but it was well tasty!

Love the name of that "Jim Rangeley's Mango Rango!" Eeh! how do they make 'em up eh?

Only problem is, I can't go to the Rising Sun at Fulwood with my missus - because she likes a glass of wine and frankly, the wine was so awful in there that she refuses to go. And she's not particularly fussy - I ordered two different wines last time we went and tried them myself too. The white was horrible cheap stuff. So I went back and got her a glass of red - and that was so vile that it just wasn't drinkable. And you don't get a nice wine glass either - just one of them tiny little round things like you might get at school.

Simple stuff to get right I think. If your clientele aren't big on wine, just get some of those little bottles of wine which contain about 1 glass - then there's no wastage. But try and offer someone a little bit of choice, not just "red" or "white". Maybe a Savignon Blanc, a Chardonnay and a Pinot Grigio? And a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Merlot and a Malbec? I don't know why this is so rare to find in most pubs (compared to the South of England).

Funnily enough, the wines in Sentinel looking quite interesting imo and I`d also suggest Brewdog who have had one or two of the red wines that I like.

Funnily enough, the wines in Sentinel looking quite interesting imo and I`d also suggest Brewdog who have had one or two of the red wines that I like.

yes, they do have decent wine. At the end of the day we're not expecting fine wine or a huge list of wines in a pub - especially a real ale place. But something of the standard that you might say pay £7 a bottle for in a supermarket didn't ought to be impossible. And I don't accept "wastage" as a reason not to have a decent bottle of wine on offer. You can get those little rubber bungs to seal the bottle again when open - and it will keep for several days.

I've noticed that fewer and fewer places offer Chardonnay by the glass thesedays. I suspect it's gone out of fashion a bit (as wines can do) and maybe suffered from an unfortunate association with wags! The same happened some years ago with German white wines, such as liebfraumilch, piesporter, riesling. Too many cheap ones on the market damaged the image and I think Chardonnay may be going the same way? It's "Savignon Blanc" or "Pinot Grigio" mostly now in pubs. (Broadfield offer nice range of wines, but even they stop short of offering a Chardonnay by the glass).

I always know if I'm ordering a glass of wine and ask what the choice is, and they reply, "red" or "white", I'm in for a bad experience!

Dev Cat has all the Abbeydale specials as well as the standards. Shame we didn't have this conversation a couple of weeks ago, for the brewery's 20th birthday they had about 20 Abbeydale beers (cask and keg) including Mango Berliner Weiss, smoked porter, barrel aged Black Mass, a saison, a Belgian Tripel...

The wine selection also looks reasonable to me, though I've never partaken...

End of the day, all these aspiring quality pubs need to make considered choices with all their offerings. So many get the whisky and / or gin right, it`s not too much too expect the other drinks to be of similar standard.

If you like great beer names you really need to try some Scandanavian ones. I went to Kissmeyer's Norrebro Brewhouse in Copenhagen earlier this year and, amongst the delights I had were 'Am I Too Late To The Xmas Party' and 'The Concept of Severe Drunkeness As An Artform'. :)

Best I've seen on these shores has been the likes of 'Sally Squirrel Teen Detective' and of course 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin'. But I do enjoy going out for a drink with my niece and nephew in the Dev Cat and making them order the Dr Morton's range. Even though they did originally think I was taking the p155

If you like great beer names you really need to try some Scandanavian ones. I went to Kissmeyer's Norrebro Brewhouse in Copenhagen earlier this year and, amongst the delights I had were 'Am I Too Late To The Xmas Party' and 'The Concept of Severe Drunkeness As An Artform'. :)

Best I've seen on these shores has been the likes of 'Sally Squirrel Teen Detective' and of course 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin'. But I do enjoy going out for a drink with my niece and nephew in the Dev Cat and making them order the Dr Morton's range. Even though they did originally think I was taking the p155

My OH thinks it's hilarious when I have to tell the big, butch, tattooed barman, "I love you, will you marry me".

---------- Post added 21-09-2016 at 19:15 ----------

yes, they do have decent wine. At the end of the day we're not expecting fine wine or a huge list of wines in a pub - especially a real ale place. But something of the standard that you might say pay £7 a bottle for in a supermarket didn't ought to be impossible. And I don't accept "wastage" as a reason not to have a decent bottle of wine on offer. You can get those little rubber bungs to seal the bottle again when open - and it will keep for several days.

I've noticed that fewer and fewer places offer Chardonnay by the glass thesedays. I suspect it's gone out of fashion a bit (as wines can do) and maybe suffered from an unfortunate association with wags! The same happened some years ago with German white wines, such as liebfraumilch, piesporter, riesling. Too many cheap ones on the market damaged the image and I think Chardonnay may be going the same way? It's "Savignon Blanc" or "Pinot Grigio" mostly now in pubs. (Broadfield offer nice range of wines, but even they stop short of offering a Chardonnay by the glass).

I always know if I'm ordering a glass of wine and ask what the choice is, and they reply, "red" or "white", I'm in for a bad experience!

There used to be an outlet in Orchard Square that did really good Liebfraumilch and Riesling, proper classy stuff. But at only 8-11% alcohol and £7-12 a bottle it was never going to go down well with "How bloody much, I can get Blue Nun for £4" crowd.

My favourite beer name recently was Alexi Lalas from Crafty Devil brewery. Very clever but only understandable if you know your beer AND your football. :cool:

My OH thinks it's hilarious when I have to tell the big, butch, tattooed barman, "I love you, will you marry me".

I once worked in a bar that had a beer on called 'Man's Milk'. It was extremely hard to resist winding up the often very embarrassed people who ordered it by saying 'A PINT???' Well, no promises, but I'll see what I can do...'