Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

Abbeydale are doing exactly the right thing IMO - despite being an established and reasonably large brewer, they're responding to changes in the market and putting out more interesting beers

Meanwhile, the Shakey has the best range of beers, cask 6%+ is hit and miss as to whether they have one but that goes anywhere, can't think of many places with a permanent 6%+ pump (I'm with the comments above though, sod the ABV, what does it taste like?)

Abbeydale are doing exactly the right thing IMO - despite being an established and reasonably large brewer, they're responding to changes in the market and putting out more interesting beers

Meanwhile, the Shakey has the best range of beers, cask 6%+ is hit and miss as to whether they have one but that goes anywhere, can't think of many places with a permanent 6%+ pump (I'm with the comments above though, sod the ABV, what does it taste like?)

Dave, didn't I read somewhere that the Shakespeare posted a list of tap takeovers - one a month running well into next year? Onlt I can't find it again. Do you know of them? Just want to plan my weekends after the 6 beer festivals I have to attend over the September / October period... :)

Yep.

they alternate UK & FM, and are first Friday of the month...

---------- Post added 15-09-2016 at 15:30 ----------

07/10 Magic Rock

04/11 To Ol

02/12 Cloudwater

06/01 Evil Twin?

03/02 Weird Beard

03/03 Mikkeller

however, that was draft, and was of course Chris's list, so there may be some variation now he's left

I tried the Sentinel.

£4.20 for a pint of Sentinel Best Bitter which, to me, tasted mediocre and I wouldn't have had a second at any price.

vs

£2.30 at the Fat Cat for a beautiful pint of Kelham Island Best that's packed with delicate flavours and is decidedly moreish.

I'm not going back to Sentinel. :D

They do a big range of beers at the Sentinel - lots of different styles and flavours and strengths. You went for the bog standard bitter. That tells me a lot about your taste. It's a bit like going in a Michelin starred restaurant and asking for a cheese sandwich.

You've made the right decision imo - because if you're happy with ordinary bitter there's really no point in spending over the odds for it at places like the Sentinel.

I'm not being critical of your taste btw - it's absolutely fine - but the Sentinel is a place for folk who want to sample very good "artisan" type beer and you can always ask for a taster of any of them before you buy. So there's no reason why you should be dissatisfied.

I suspect you'd have enjoyed it more at a lower price though?

hey not bog standard Sheffield Bitter! I went for their Sheffield Best Bitter, oh yes. A benchmark to try them with on a 5.30 stop after work. :P

The Czech Pivo or Cologne-Style Kolsch might have been more adventurous though, you are right...

They are making Thornbridge look cheap!

They do a big range of beers at the Sentinel - lots of different styles and flavours and strengths. You went for the bog standard bitter. That tells me a lot about your taste. It's a bit like going in a Michelin starred restaurant and asking for a cheese sandwich.

You've made the right decision imo - because if you're happy with ordinary bitter there's really no point in spending over the odds for it at places like the Sentinel.

I'm not being critical of your taste btw - it's absolutely fine - but the Sentinel is a place for folk who want to sample very good "artisan" type beer and you can always ask for a taster of any of them before you buy. So there's no reason why you should be dissatisfied.

What I've had from Sentinel so far hasn't been good enough, IMHO, to justify the price. Compared to beers from Cloudwater, Magic Rock, Marble, Lost Industry I find their output mediocre.

Waen Brewery closed last week because (one of the reasons) of the huge amount of microbreweries who've jumped on the bandwagon recently and who have massively diluted the market. I always try a new brewery when I see one but recently I've been seeing more and more who are churning out dull, boring, generic garbage. Sentinel isn't garbage, far from it, and they are very new, but at the moment they are division 3 wearing Emperor's New Clothes.

Again, IMHO, others may completely disagree and I'd have no problem with that.:)

Yep.

they alternate UK & FM, and are first Friday of the month...

---------- Post added 15-09-2016 at 15:30 ----------

07/10 Magic Rock

04/11 To Ol

02/12 Cloudwater

06/01 Evil Twin?

03/02 Weird Beard

03/03 Mikkeller

however, that was draft, and was of course Chris's list, so there may be some variation now he's left

Cheers chuck. Any word on the bar he's opening?

---------- Post added 16-09-2016 at 07:59 ----------

Completely agree here Mr Tup. However, I suspect after reading the post that followed that you are answering a simple troll post looking for an argument:)

I saw one of their beers ? in The Bluecoat, on Wednesday.

---------- Post added 16-09-2016 at 07:59 ----------

I heard something the other night where he might be going, but not saying anything just yet incase as I was only half paying attention and also had a few as well :)

Back to Sentinel - I was in there last Sunday (was really dead) and had a Great Heck ale in one of those awful half glasses with a funny shape and worked out at £4.20 a pint. Nearly fell off my chair.

I heard something the other night where he might be going, but not saying anything just yet incase as I was only half paying attention and also had a few as well :)

Back to Sentinel - I was in there last Sunday (was really dead) and had a Great Heck ale in one of those awful half glasses with a funny shape and worked out at £4.20 a pint. Nearly fell off my chair.

Ouch! That is expensive for one of Denzel's beers.

Maybe the place will pick up again once the students return with lots of lovely loans to spend... :)

not saying too much as final legal formalities still in progress... Suffice to say the new venue will be handy, and have a Shakey-esque beer range only more so (i.e. similar quality of beers but more lines)

targeted opening end October...