Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

must admit I'm not sure how sustainable that price structure is. I've paid 6 quid and more for a pint (or equivalent for smaller measures at least), but usually high-strength (like double digits), imported from far away lands, or other expensive processes e.g. barrel-aging, adjuncts, etc. I wouldn't expect to pay that for a local 'straightforward' 6% beer. even the Tap would be unlikely to charge that!

Very true - but some do get away with it. Maybe not on cask but certainly on keg. My last 2 visits to Craft and Dough on Eccy Rd have yielded Wharfebank on tap at £5.20-£5.60 a pint, and they are definitely not worth the price!

Maybe you should revisit your pricing structure Dave? That way you could give a certain one of your young assistants more hours! Tho to be fair he was doing OK in Leeds on Saturday so can't be short of a bob or two! ;c)

funnily enough, one of mine on now in Brewpuppy... I haven't seen what they're charging yet!

admittedly kegging does add to the price, but personally on keg I'd still expect a local 6% IPA to be around £4.50, certainly no more than a fiver

funnily enough, one of mine on now in Brewpuppy... I haven't seen what they're charging yet!

admittedly kegging does add to the price, but personally on keg I'd still expect a local 6% IPA to be around £4.50, certainly no more than a fiver

Yes indeed. That is my view too. Well done for getting into BrewDog. Although I have serious reservations as to how the Sheffield branch is run. But that is no slight on you.

went to the one in Brum on Friday, got served by some bloke called James Watt...

Sheffield one has definitely had some issues, I think it's hopefully settled a bit now... I'll keep an eye on the beer list, it went through a very dull patch but seems to have picked up lately

Had a Sentinel IPA in bottle today. OK, not great and a lot better available in Sheffield.

True. I thought it may be a place to call in when I'm on my way back to the station via the Rutland - but from where I'm not sure. Even from the Beer Engine it's a bit of a detour. Maybe try it when the Peddler Street food Market is on in that area. I'm keen to see the place, but not at £6 a pint for average beer.

Peddler is now in a permanent location on Burton road, Kelham Island. Sentinel seems to be in a odd location, its not really near anything, nearest decent pub to it is the beer engine or the sheaf view, and theyre both a fair walk away. And if theyre charging 6 quid for a pint of average beer, I cant see it lasting long. Ive no problem paying 6 quid for a pint (in fact Ive no problem paying a fair bit more) but not for something average thats brewed 10 minutes from my house. For that money I want something really good thats either travelled the length of the country or crossed at least 1 ocean

....For that money I want something really good thats either travelled the length of the country or crossed at least 1 ocean

The Beerstop at Dronnie have some 8 Wired Hopwired IPA from New Zealand at 3.20 a bottle and it is outstanding.

At last we may get a pub that will serve Tartan Special! Or am I just wishing?

Why are you obsessed with Tartan Special?

You have obviously not sampled this quality ale. Had it been more widely available in England then Red Barrel would have had a real fight to become the nation's favourite.

went to the one in Brum on Friday, got served by some bloke called James Watt...

Sheffield one has definitely had some issues, I think it's hopefully settled a bit now... I'll keep an eye on the beer list, it went through a very dull patch but seems to have picked up lately

Yeah I heard James was doing the rounds. Hope he gives Sheffield a kick up the rear. I mean seriously what is the point of doing tap takeovers by Abbeydale and Thornbridge in this area? RedWillow was slightly more sensible as you rarely see them here but Titanic? Very much a brewer who should stick to cask. They need to start getting more adventurous and soon.

---------- Post added 07-04-2016 at 11:56 ----------

Peddler is now in a permanent location on Burton road, Kelham Island. Sentinel seems to be in a odd location, its not really near anything, nearest decent pub to it is the beer engine or the sheaf view, and theyre both a fair walk away. And if theyre charging 6 quid for a pint of average beer, I cant see it lasting long. Ive no problem paying 6 quid for a pint (in fact Ive no problem paying a fair bit more) but not for something average thats brewed 10 minutes from my house. For that money I want something really good thats either travelled the length of the country or crossed at least 1 ocean

I wasn't aware of that regarding Peddler. Thanks for the info. Would disagree about the Beer Engine being the closest best pub though - sure that is the Rutland?

---------- Post added 07-04-2016 at 11:56 ----------

It's called fishing. You got caught! ;)

Yeah I heard James was doing the rounds. Hope he gives Sheffield a kick up the rear. I mean seriously what is the point of doing tap takeovers by Abbeydale and Thornbridge in this area? RedWillow was slightly more sensible as you rarely see them here but Titanic? Very much a brewer who should stick to cask. They need to start getting more adventurous and soon.

I'm not sure how much autonomy they've had in the past - certainly a couple of years ago their northern area rep was keen to get my beers but said we had to send bottles up to HQ for us to be 'approved'. Clearly this isn't the case now, which is good for me getting my beers in, but has led to some less-than-inspiring selections (nowt wrong with Abbeydale or A4E beers, but as you say what's the point). Surprised to see Titanic tbh, not exactly in keeping with BD's stated philosophy

Better get my landing net out in that case.