Staff free meals

They are taking the free lunch away because of tax reasons. But a lot of teachers still get a free lunch. Also any foods that cant be saved staff were allowed to take it but not anymore it has to go in the bin.

i got told a welll known coffee chain has stopped staff fag breaks and stopped free meals and free drinks because of the national wage coming in

Who are the fat cats involved in providing school meals then?

I make a generic reference to management. The next sentence gives a clue; 'filters down'. Ergo, all management replicates the greed by rewarding themselves disproportionately to anything their workers are ever incentivised with.

So, management get millions in bonus payments while the workers get crumbs or in this specific example, no crumbs at all.

Most businesses of this sort would have put an allowance in their accounts for staff food - probably around £1.50 per employee per day. The minimum wage increase will be costing them around £4.30 per day (plus even more when auto-enrolment and further minimum wage increases come in next year). What is preferable - the wage increase or the free lunch?

well the minium wage gets gobbled up by tax anyway

I've worked in many schools as a teacher and I've never eaten for free. I pay VAT on it too.

They already said not.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 13:09 ----------

I was under the impression that things that are "custom" and continue for a length of time might well be deemed to be implicitly part of the contract.

I have a bank worker who i put on a rota to cover a contracted member of staff. He was on it for 6 months, until i suddenly had to find work for another contracted member of staff. Not straightforward at all! HR stated he now has the same rights as contracted staff. However,they did eventually find a way round it (i think?). Unless they just hoped he didn't know his rights and would go quietly.

Personally, i wanted him to keep on the rota, as he is a damn good worker.

No but thats what people tend to say, incorrectly.

Think of it logically. You can have your cake and then eat it but you can't eat your cake and then have it.

I think that if you look this up in various places maybe the Cambridge English Dictionary you will find it is "have your cake and eat it (too)

I make a generic reference to management. The next sentence gives a clue; 'filters down'. Ergo, all management replicates the greed by rewarding themselves disproportionately to anything their workers are ever incentivised with.

So, management get millions in bonus payments while the workers get crumbs or in this specific example, no crumbs at all.

What management are getting millions running a school lunch service?

What management are getting millions running a school lunch service?

Where there's smash there's gold

I work in school kitchen and have for the last 13 years over all that time we have been allowed a free lunch. Well now we are being told we can no longer have one. So I'm wondering if there are any other dinner staff on here who get free meals. We have been told We are the only school that give free food.

I know a few school dinner ladies, one has said in the past that they are not allowed to take food home, although another one gave us a few left over buns the other day.

They are taking the free lunch away because of tax reasons. But a lot of teachers still get a free lunch. Also any foods that cant be saved staff were allowed to take it but not anymore it has to go in the bin.

Historically, in some schools teachers who voluntarily did a lunchtime 'duty' or break times in some cases, got a school lunch paid for by the school.

In other schools, where behaviour has been an issue at lunchtimes, I believe an arrangement has sometimes been made where staff get a free lunch to encourage staff to eat with the kids and this has a positive effect on behaviour in the canteens. Let's face it, they are getting the teacher's lunchtime very cheap for the price of a very cheap lunch.

School canteen staff work extremely hard for little in return, and I think employers that take away this established traditional meal from them are exceptionally mean. When I was a kid and school meals were good and not run for profit, I used to love to see the dinner ladies tucking in. It made our lunches seem more special as adults were also eating the same as us. Maybe if kids don't see the dinner ladies eating the food any more they might get suspicious of the food served and not bother staying for lunch. This could backfire.

Edited by Lex Luthor

It's not free though, somebody has to pay for it and that's both the parents who pay for school meals and the council who pay for meals for families on the dole. If I was a parent I wouldn't be wanting to pay for the dinner lady's lunch lol.

Maybe that's the reason school dinners are so expensive.