Staff free meals

I work in school kitchen and have for the last 13 years over all that time we have been allowed a free lunch. Well now we are being told we can no longer have one. So I'm wondering if there are any other dinner staff on here who get free meals. We have been told We are the only school that give free food.

I don't know if it's coincidence or not or wether it applies in your case but since the recent increase in the National Minimum Wage companies are desperately trying to claw it back any way they can,getting rid of any staff perks that aren't nailed down being the usual method.

I think it would depend on who you work for is it the school or someone like Taylor Shaw, the staff in our Kitchen get their dinner but that's Taylor Shaw

We work for the school. Do you get an allowance for food that you pay tax on or is it not just a perk.

I couldn't say whether the kitchen staff get free meals, but teachers/other school staff have to pay £1. We have Chartwells in our school.

I work in school kitchen and have for the last 13 years over all that time we have been allowed a free lunch. Well now we are being told we can no longer have one. So I'm wondering if there are any other dinner staff on here who get free meals. We have been told We are the only school that give free food.

If it's happened for that long you should take legal advice, it might well be considered to be contractual now.

If it's happened for that long you should take legal advice, it might well be considered to be contractual now.

Absolutely, it may not be in you contract, but might be deemed as custom and practice. Presume as you're working in a School there's a union that covers your grades, and that your a member?

I went to a private eating establishment recently that used to provide some food for the staff - not a school.

They now display a sign in the kitchen area - "You don't work for free so you don't eat for free".

It is amazing how so many alleged improvements to our lives often suggested with the best of intentions has a negative impact on it.

I know of one or two in the support industry for schools and care homes who are suddenly having overtime and hours cut back to the contractual limit since the increase in minimum wages/living wages etc. They aren't earning any less in some cases but they now get an extra day to spend it .

It's why its called 'WORK' and not 'enjoyment'.

Pernicious employers doing their employees no favours, showing little consideration and certainly no kindness. It is employment that resembles a dislike, mistrust and contempt for staff.

But these are the times we live in when fat cats take disproportionate salaries many times greater than those who do the work. This attitude filters throughout management and this is the result. Not a living wage but a minimum wage.

'Perk' for the boss and 'work' for the workers. The sackable, replaceable, contemptable workers should they strike or complain or in this case, eat.

If you voted Tory then don't complain.

Who are the fat cats involved in providing school meals then?

Cuts. Hard times.

Not sure about all schools, but Brakes supplied to the one I worked in.