Derek Dooley Way

Not until someone draws attention to it do you realise how poorly demarcated that junction is. The break in the cycle lane, combined with the lack of any dividing line between the single left turn lane and the two straight-through lanes does lead to many thinking it is okay to (and some going on to) consider it a late left turn lane.

Surely there is a precedent in all of road-dom for how that could be better indicated?

Perhaps they could put a large arrow on the floor that indicates that the lane is to go forwards only?

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 21:10 ----------

Yes but motorists frequently find themselves in the wrong lane and have to change, I don't see why moving lanes there would be considered illegal in the eyes of the law as long as the maneuvre is performed safely.

I don't think we're talking about a lane change. We're talking about people who turn left, directly into the 2nd lane of Savile St. When the junction is busy (which is when they do it) they come into people who are using the left hand lane correctly and who are then moving into the 2nd lane of Savile St correctly, having correctly turned onto it, instead of disobeying a straight forward only arrow and instead making a left turn.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 21:11 ----------

I'm not sure why you are concerned about somebody colliding with you along that stretch of road. Have you had or seen any near misses?

I have, and I don't even use it that often!

I don't think we're talking about a lane change. We're talking about people who turn left, directly into the 2nd lane of Savile St. When the junction is busy (which is when they do it) they come into people who are using the left hand lane correctly and who are then moving into the 2nd lane of Savile St correctly, having correctly turned onto it, instead of disobeying a straight forward only arrow and instead making a left turn.

I think that's right. If you realise you're in the wrong lane, most people would indicate and find a suitable opportunity to get in the correct lane. At this junction I think it's mostly people making a late left into the 2nd lane of Savile St, but thinking it's a legit move, and perhaps not expecting anyone to be moving into that lane from the left.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 22:52 ----------

Not until someone draws attention to it do you realise how poorly demarcated that junction is. The break in the cycle lane, combined with the lack of any dividing line between the single left turn lane and the two straight-through lanes does lead to many thinking it is okay to (and some going on to) consider it a late left turn lane.

Surely there is a precedent in all of road-dom for how that could be better indicated?

It is fairly clear further back, but I agree, there's something about the lane markings where the cycle lane ends that causes confusion. I remember when that stretch of road opened, I used to work nearby, and there were similar discussions in the staff room about which lane you were meant to use.

Yes but motorists frequently find themselves in the wrong lane and have to change, I don't see why moving lanes there would be considered illegal in the eyes of the law as long as the maneuvre is performed safely.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 20:35 ----------

I'm not sure why you are concerned about somebody colliding with you along that stretch of road. Have you had or seen any near misses?

Had one today as it happens