Derek Dooley Way

I searched but couldnt find another thread on this, my apologies if there is one.

My opinion is that on the side heading out of town towards the sheffield parkway if i wanted to turn left towards attercliffe i should get in the left lane. I couldnt stay in the now middle lane and then turn left nearer to the motorbike shop like many i see doing could i??

I searched but couldnt find another thread on this, my apologies if there is one.

My opinion is that on the side heading out of town towards the sheffield parkway if i wanted to turn left towards attercliffe i should get in the left lane. I couldnt stay in the now middle lane and then turn left nearer to the motorbike shop like many i see doing could i??

Yes you could and there is a thread about this somewhere.

If memory serves the middle lane has a straight ahead arrow painted on it by the left turn so no but many do.

If memory serves the middle lane has a straight ahead arrow painted on it by the left turn so no but many do.

That right, the "middle lane" has an arrow painted on the floor straight forward. Surely just the left lane is for heading up towards attercliffe?

I always go in the left lane then keep right as it bears left left but often wondered whose to blame if someone goes into the right hand side of me.

Edited by Remedy234

No, you're correct, although a lot of people do what you're describing.

Why would someone go into the right of you? If memory serves aren't there 2 lanes, the late "left turner" on Derek Dooley way would be joining the outside lane of Savile Street?

The people going left here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3891616,-1.4650252,3a,75y,86.67h,79.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHgcgp6FaqP1xOJfhk6KxdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

From the left hand lane find that it splits almost immediately into two. Some stay to the right (I normally do).

If someone in the incorrect lane then goes left as well, they will potentially run into me.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 19:30 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Derek+Dooley+Way,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S4+7BZ/@53.3890582,-1.4651599,148a,20y,6.47t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487978712a5a344d:0x2af4804be6f5bfd0!8m2!3d53.3868806!4d-1.4605969

The lane markings are very clear, only the left hand most lane is for turning left.

Why would someone go into the right of you? If memory serves aren't there 2 lanes, the late "left turner" on Derek Dooley way would be joining the outside lane of Savile Street?

As far as im aware theres no such thing as a late left turner lane, if you turn left there and hit me its your fault

As far as im aware theres no such thing as a late left turner lane, if you turn left there and hit me its your fault

I've no doubt it would be my fault if I changed lanes into your path, but that would be the case when changing lanes anywhere. Do you believe that stretch of road is particularly hazardous?

Edited by Zaphod

Not until someone draws attention to it do you realise how poorly demarcated that junction is. The break in the cycle lane, combined with the lack of any dividing line between the single left turn lane and the two straight-through lanes does lead to many thinking it is okay to (and some going on to) consider it a late left turn lane.

Surely there is a precedent in all of road-dom for how that could be better indicated?

The lane markings are very clear, only the left hand most lane is for turning left.

Yes but motorists frequently find themselves in the wrong lane and have to change, I don't see why moving lanes there would be considered illegal in the eyes of the law as long as the maneuvre is performed safely.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 20:35 ----------

Not really if you know how to drive

I'm not sure why you are concerned about somebody colliding with you along that stretch of road. Have you had or seen any near misses?

Edited by Zaphod