Replacement Pole Advice (not carp)

Over the next few weeks I begin my Summer / Autumn fishing season, so I went into my outhouse to get my pole ready for re-elastication, unfortunately it has been smashed Beyond repair :(.

Now I need a new pole. My intention was to put a want AD on the forum, but want to explore the options of new first.

My requirements seem very simple until I look on websites or in shops where everything seems to be targetted towards commercial fisheries.

I need a pole 11m or less (i usually fish at around 8m and use the remainder if I am lucky enough to hit a tench or chub.

The max elastic I had in my old pole was a 10 and in my second top 3 I had a 6.

I am the type of angler who values catching half a dozen 12oz+ roach more than a bag of commercial fisheries carp. I fish some stretches of the Don, small ponds & canals.

I am looking for a light pole that allows me to have fun with smaller fish, so I am not looking for something with the rigidity of a snooker Queue.

Any advice on new poles or should I be looking towards the classified sections?

Cheers,

Steve

The pole I generally use has both light and power tops but handles better with the light ones ( 6+8 elastic ). However, when I want some fun with the roach and skimmers on my local pond I use a Team Daiwa ZR whip which is 8 metres long and rated to a 8 elastic. It comes with a hollow top and a flick tip which can easily be converted to make it hollow. They have a telescopic top 3 and the rest is take apart, retailing at £150 or less. There is a higher spec Daiwa whip on the same lines at around £400.

while it's true to say most reasonable 13m poles these days will feel pretty good at 8-11m, regardless of the logo's on the butt sections (carp-this, baggin'-that...!), I completely sympathise with your dilemma; not every serious angler is interested in ton-up nets of carp...

With that in mind, coupled with the fact I fish for tench almost all spring, summer & autumn (that hardly ever need more than 11m of carbon) I do keep my eye open for shorter poles, and those aimed at the lighter end of the sport....

...and in total honesty (despite my almost 100% obsession with Drennan gear), I'd advise you to have a look at the Middy range, they do several shorter poles (8.5, 10, 11m) that although they can be used with heavy elastics for bigger fish, and are clearly branded to attract anglers of that ilk, they are actually really nice to handle with lighter elastics

Charlie's comments on the daiwa range is sound, but if you need something you can add sections to if needs be, I couldn't say whether that's an option for the system whip-style poles on the market, as I've never owned one

finally, I did spot something in the monthly mag's tackle pages which may be of interest: Sensas were going to release what they were branding as a silvers pole, but sadly I can't recall the name or the price band, nor when it would be available...

One metre extensions are available for the daiwa airity whip for about £100 each taking it to 10 metres.

Edited by charliewag
Wrong info

Have a look at the Maver Abyss X never seen one but they retail between £38 - £50 and might be ok for what you are after, i have the Beastmaster 850B its very light but also strong you can pick them up for around £130.

Edited by DaveGas

Thanks for the advice guys, I think for the amount of pole fishing I do The Airity is probably more than what I'd want to spend at this stage.

But, I hadnt actually thought of Whips, so I have been looking at Daiwa's back catalogue and some of the Team Daiwa System Whips can be picked up at a reasonable cost so I have added these to conseideration, the only issue being the overall length.

@Dars I know what you mean about Drennan!, one of my biggest regrets was selling my IM8 feeder and bomb rods a few years ago.

I believe I have found the Sensas Silverfish pole here, http://www.benwick-sports.co.uk/whips/1994-sensas-magic-silver-fish-10m.html so I am going to try to find a local stockist so I can have a proper look, the price point suits me too!

Thanks everyone for your advice.