Getting rid of greenfly

We have acquired a lovely lupin plant which is in a pot on the patio. Just checked on it and it's smothered in greenfly and they are slowly destroying it, how can I get rid of the greenfly without killing the plant?

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:37 ----------

Actually they might be aphids

Try spraying with a very dilute solution of washing up liquid - it's supposed to affect the aphid/greenfly's ability to get at the plant, without causing the plant itself any problems.

Finger and thumb caressing the plant but crushing the aphid/greenfly

Try spraying with a very dilute solution of washing up liquid - it's supposed to affect the aphid/greenfly's ability to get at the plant, without causing the plant itself any problems.

Have used this method and it works but prefer using a soft dry paintbrush to simply brush them off.

Greenfly are aphids. The soap/detergent damages the waxy coating on the greenfly.

Put some washing up liquid in a bowl of clean water and whisk it into a foam. Cover the plant with foam, leave for a while then rinse off with a hosepipe on gentle shower. Keep doing this until you significantly reduce the aphids. If you have other plants in your garden it will, over a period of time, attract birds which will eat the aphids. We have a lot of birds that eat aphids, slugs and snails.

Are these the horrid lupin aphid... nastier than ordinary greenfly/ahids and not eaten by usual predators. stopped having lupins myself because they just got killed. they were grey and big insects and destroyed lupins my parents had had for years

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=653

Edited by Parvo

I just use a hosepipe with a fine strong spray which washes a big percentage off.

Are these the horrid lupin aphid... nastier than ordinary greenfly/ahids and not eaten by usual predators. stopped having lupins myself because they just got killed. they were grey and big insects and destroyed lupins my parents had had for years

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=653

It doesn't say the usual preditors don't eat them. It states they don't usually keep them in check. As far as I know, aphids are born pregnant so they breed rapidly. You need a lot of Ladybirds and birds to eat aphids.

You need a lot of Ladybirds and birds to eat aphids.

I don't think I've seen any ladybirds at all yet this year - are they short on the ground, or have I just been unlucky not to see them out and about?

B&m have some good natural products for aphids and other Buggs I have used it on roses and it seems to have worked