Air Raid Shelters

Shame on you Yellow Rose, exciting us all with tales of your frilly Knickers.

There's one under the grassed area within the fencing of Longley school apparently.

Firth Park school (north) or Community Arts College as its now call (Ooo posh! :rolleyes: ) apparantly has some air raid shelters under the playing fields.

The lumpy bit at the top :P

Stannington School used to have air raid shelters in the playground. They were grassed over and we used to play on them as kids.

Hey HollyBird, keep the shelter, do it up, put a bar in there, invite your friends around, could be another war any minute.

Or grow weed and make a fortune :hihi:

We had a shelter in our yard at Dutton Rd.

It was brick with a concrete roof.

Across the road they where Anderson's.

Why they were different I do not know.

We used to play in the one at the top of Hillsborough Park .It stank like it was used for a public toilet which it probably was.

Hi,

There was another type of shelter - really an indoor type - in the war. I think they were called "Morrison", but not sure.

It was really a heavy rectangular table made of steel. The legs were 6in x 6in steel angles. the top was heavy steel plate but I don't know how thick.

The one I saw was set up in the waiting room of a doctor's surgery - on Herries Road at the corner of Shirecliffe Road. I think the Doctor's name was Black.

I suppose the idea was that if a raid started and you couldn't get to regular shelter in time, you just crawled under one of these things. Seem to think that there was heavy steel mesh along one end and part of a side but again, I could be wrong. PeterW should remember these.

After the war, some of these "Shelters" became work or layout benches in different works.

Regards

I remember the table shelters they were issued to families without a garden, most of them ended up down the cellars. My father and brother built an air raid shelter in Millmount rd. which was enirely below ground with tap water and electricity. The trouble with most shelters was the flooding so quite often a sump was built in and that was my saturday morning job emptying it with a bucket.

Stannington School used to have air raid shelters in the playground. They were grassed over and we used to play on them as kids.
Meynell Road School had an air raid shelter.It was situated opposite the left hand side of the main building,if I remember correctly. We went down steps at one side,and there were benches all along,then there were steps at the other side. I remember we were led into there as a practice session.I was born at the end of 1937,and began school when I was 5,so it must have been 1943.What year did Sheffield suffer the "Blitz?"

We also had an Anderson shelter at the top of our garden.When the sirens went off my Mum had to dress us 4 under 8 years old in Siren suits and we thought it was great fun putting on the Gas Masks! I still recall my Mums trembling hands and the panic she must have felt as she got us all ready. To a child the searchlights streaking across the sky was wonderful! We usually fell asleep in the shelter though.Until we heard the "ALL CLEAR" Sirens. Mum wasnt too pleased with Dad sometimes,because when he was a bit late home,perhaps after having a few drinks, he just used to climb into the coal house in the back porch of the house!

We live on cliffefield road and we had a brick and re-einforced concrete shelter at the front. Believe it served 2 or 3 houses. We had to knock it down to carry out improvements and was sad to see it go. It did take the builders 3 weeks to knock down so i guess it was built to do its job.