Landlords help please. What are tenants rights?

Even if I did stay until February it doesn't stop 12 phonecalls and 5 viewings a week. It's unbearable.

Even if I did stay until February it doesn't stop 12 phonecalls and 5 viewings a week. It's unbearable.

You can choose to ignore them, it is not in your tenancy agreement that you have to allow viewings is it?

Get in touch with housing and they will advise you on what to do.

Good luck...

That's not correct either. You can sell a house with a sitting tenant, the existing contract continues to exist. A tenant cannot block the sale and no new contract is required between the tenant and the new landlord.

You're right, I'm forgetting. I sold my last property with a sitting tenant. They signed a new agreement with the new landlord so I thought that was compulsory. i presume if that doesn't happen the existing contract is transferred to the new landlord?

---------- Post added 22-06-2016 at 07:26 ----------

You are entitled to live in the property undisturbed. You do not have to allow the viewings and need to tell them that its unacceptable how many calls you are getting.

---------- Post added 22-06-2016 at 07:29 ----------

I have to say I think the protection for tenants in this scenario is shocking. A person should have the right to live somewhere without the fear of being kicked out. 6 month and 1 year fixed term contracts are wholly unfair to long term tentants and landlords shouldn't be allowed to keep long term tenants in that constant state of uncertainty.

Edited by TimmyR

It does, we've said right from the start that you are not obliged to allowing a large number of viewings.

Tell them that you will allow 1 a week, end of. It can be multiple people at the same time, but no more than 1 a week is convenient.

No you don't have to allow them so many viewings. Read the second part of post 2 on this link.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?26589-L-s-right-of-access-for-inspection-or-viewing

I'm not ignoring all advice given. I've weighed over many options including sitting tight but the fact is this...

I have 3 children one of whom is severely disabled. They are all settled in schools and an upheaval of schools as well as moving home might well be the straw that breaks the camels back. Big Houses in our area that would allow the kids to stay in their schools don't come up that often so what if I pass on this opportunity and then find us homeless in February when no suitable houses are available?? It would be beyond foolish. I need to do what is right for the kids.

I'm guessing they will go for my bond as I'm ending the tenancy but I will argue tooth and nail for it. This is unbearable. A further 3 calls today from the letting agent and a viewing cancellation with 15 minutes notice. I can take no more.

And you are correct I believe Cyclone. They are supposed to be targeting the sale towards buy to let landlords and selling with us as sitting tenants...However the first 2 viewings had no idea the house was tenanted. They thought I was the vendor. So I had to stand there and listen as they discussed what offer they wanted to make and then tell me that "there's no rush to move out, We don't want to move in for 2 months"

Ooookay then.

Please ring Shelter as previously advised, you do need to get advice on all your options and the consequences of each.

Have you got a phone where you can see incoming numbers? Back in the day when this wasn't possible we used to leave our answering machine on and tell people they had to speak and give us a few seconds to answer. If we wanted to speak to them we picked up while they were still on the line, if not we left the machine on. I used to work shifts so sometimes I used to turn the ringer off and messages off speaker so I couldn't anything. If someone wants you then call leave a message and you can call them back at your convenience.

You sound like a reasonable person so I can't see why this would be a problem. We don't answer our phone if we are cooking or eating. Don't be a slave to the phone.

Hope all goes well for you.

My bold=

Stay put! The council will say you made yourself intentionally homeless if you do this and then need them to help you.

You don't have to leave straight away at end of tenancy as council will advise you to stay put until court order anyway.

Very good point, listen to this person!!!!

Yes; and harassment- which is what this sounds like- is a criminal offence.