Landlords help please. What are tenants rights?

So the saga continues for us. The house was reduced in price last Monday and this generated a lot of interest. Between last Monday and Today (so exactly 7 days) we've had to contend with 10 telephone calls from the letting agent and 5 viewings. My disabled daughter is distraught with all the upset. I can't believe this can be considered to be were being left in quiet peace to enjoy our tenancy. Ridiculous. None of the viewers have been made aware of our tenancy and length. I'm tired and I'm out. But I'm guessing I'm going to lose my bond not to mention all the decorations and gates we've had fitted. I'm devastated.

Tell the estate agent to do one viewing a week where all the interested party's can come together.

Take the gates with you when you leave, the bond will stay in the scheme if you don't agree you owe anything to the landlord and the deposit will just sit there till agreement is reached.

I find it hard to believe that a national letting agent would do anything other than what is required of them by law but in my previous lettings I've had personal correspondence from the deposit protection service however in this instance I've had nothing from the DPS so I'm even questioning Whether this has been carried out correctly xx

So the saga continues for us. The house was reduced in price last Monday and this generated a lot of interest. Between last Monday and Today (so exactly 7 days) we've had to contend with 10 telephone calls from the letting agent and 5 viewings. My disabled daughter is distraught with all the upset. I can't believe this can be considered to be were being left in quiet peace to enjoy our tenancy. Ridiculous. None of the viewers have been made aware of our tenancy and length. I'm tired and I'm out. But I'm guessing I'm going to lose my bond not to mention all the decorations and gates we've had fitted. I'm devastated.

Didn't people advise you that you don't need to accept so many viewings?

Make them when they're convenient for you, if it works better, have multiple viewings simultaneously.

Why leave and lose your bond, tell the agents you won't accept so many viewings and then don't. Hell, stop answering the phone if you like.

You were conned into paying £140, just so they can print out a new piece of paper, you could have gone on a periodic tenancy.

---------- Post added 20-06-2016 at 21:52 ----------

You are letting them treat you like a door mat here, why .?

It's that con that now gives her the right to stay. On a periodic tenancy it could have been terminated by now.

Whats the point in this thread if the OP won't take a single piece of advice given to them???

So 8 weeks ago my landlord had me renew another 1 year tenancy (costing me £140) since then I've spent almost £1000 having new gates fitted, decorating the lounge and tiling the kitchen. Yesterday he tells me he's putting it on the market (with me as a sitting tenant)

I have to assume the buyer could want it as a home for themselves though....in which case what are my rights as a tenant. Do the new buyers have to see out my 10 month remaining tenancy or would they have to give me the statutory 8 week notice???

Also how many viewings would be classed as an invasion of our privacy. I tried to negotiate with the agent today that I would agree to maybe 1 viewing a week. But she started umming and ahhing that should demand be high for viewings we'd have to kind of put up with it. Any ideas on my rights. Thank you in advance.

Its simple your current landlord has no right to evict you other than the normal eviction proceedings. They cannot sell the house with you in it if the new owner wants to remove you and live in the house. The only way the landlord can sell the house is if you agree to sign a contract with a new landlord and for you to do that you have to be fully happy with the contract.

That's not correct either. You can sell a house with a sitting tenant, the existing contract continues to exist. A tenant cannot block the sale and no new contract is required between the tenant and the new landlord.

I'm not ignoring all advice given. I've weighed over many options including sitting tight but the fact is this...

I have 3 children one of whom is severely disabled. They are all settled in schools and an upheaval of schools as well as moving home might well be the straw that breaks the camels back. Big Houses in our area that would allow the kids to stay in their schools don't come up that often so what if I pass on this opportunity and then find us homeless in February when no suitable houses are available?? It would be beyond foolish. I need to do what is right for the kids.

I'm guessing they will go for my bond as I'm ending the tenancy but I will argue tooth and nail for it. This is unbearable. A further 3 calls today from the letting agent and a viewing cancellation with 15 minutes notice. I can take no more.

And you are correct I believe Cyclone. They are supposed to be targeting the sale towards buy to let landlords and selling with us as sitting tenants...However the first 2 viewings had no idea the house was tenanted. They thought I was the vendor. So I had to stand there and listen as they discussed what offer they wanted to make and then tell me that "there's no rush to move out, We don't want to move in for 2 months"

Ooookay then.

Edited by Bethsmummy

I'm not ignoring all advice given. I've weighed over many options including sitting tight but the fact is this...

I have 3 children one of whom is severely disabled. They are all settled in schools and an upheaval of schools as well as moving home might well be the straw that breaks the camels back. Big Houses in our area that would allow the kids to stay in their schools don't come up that often so what if I pass on this opportunity and then find us homeless in February when no suitable houses are available?? It would be beyond foolish. I need to do what is right for the kids.

I'm guessing they will go for my bond as I'm ending the tenancy but I will argue tooth and nail for it. This is unbearable. A further 3 calls today from the letting agent and a viewing cancellation with 15 minutes notice. I can take no more.

And you are correct I believe Cyclone. They are supposed to be targeting the sale towards buy to let landlords and selling with us as sitting tenants...However the first 2 viewings had no idea the house was tenanted. They thought I was the vendor. So I had to stand there and listen as they discussed what offer they wanted to make and then tell me that "there's no rush to move out, We don't want to move in for 2 months"

Ooookay then.

My bold=

Stay put! The council will say you made yourself intentionally homeless if you do this and then need them to help you.

You don't have to leave straight away at end of tenancy as council will advise you to stay put until court order anyway.

Ooookay then.

Are you looking at the council availability and bidding? Please take on board Mafyas advice, if you want help via the homeless route. However it appears from all the advice that you should be able to stay for the duration of your tenancy, Private Sector Housing within the council can support you. Details here: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/private-sector-housing/private-landlords/contacts.html

Ooookay then.

So why didn't you kill it there and then by saying that you had x months left on your tenancy and wouldn't possibly be leaving before that contract expired.

They walk out of there never to be heard from again.