Dead laptop - repairer recommendations

I've been given a dead laptop, which is a few months out of warranty, which just won't power on. The charge light does not light up when the charger is plugged in, but the charger is giving out the right voltage.

I've tried the reset trick (disconnect battery and hold power button down for 30 secs) but it didn't work.

I'm pretty good at fixing desktop PCs, but laptops are not my specialty.

Can anyone recommend a decent local laptop repair shop where I can get it looked at to see if it's worth repairing?

give mozalan a shout,byte it computers,great bloke,and a wiz with laptops.

Seconded! I took my 2008 Dell machine to Gosh (Mozalan) this week, just got it back & it's like using a brand new machine. Great service & a very nice bloke. Highly recommended!

Another vote for Mozalan - he has repaired to Notebooks (not Laptops guys - promotes incorrect usage!:D) at work in the past and came back in excellent condition. Very satisfied with his service and very reasonable prices. :D

Looks like you're the guy Mozalan! I'll make an appointment to drop it by at some point.