Any Tips for Visiting Rome?

I'd recommend walking up the steps onto the roof of the St. Peters for the best view of Rome that you can get. You can actually get right up on top of the dome. Again, this gets very busy and I wouldn't advise it if you are claustraphobic as the passages get very narrow near the top

I'd second that - I'm not very good with heights and was very claustrophobic as a youngster (have only been able to calmly get in lifts in the last few years) so I found this a little traumatic. Not for those who dislike heights/small spaces or have heart trouble any kind of mobility impairment!

You beat me to it. I see you got stung too then!:rolleyes:

I did! I think I gave them about 5 Euros after a slanging match. This is a fantastic city, but there are more scammers per square mile that anywhere I've ever been.

As a previous poster said, hang on to your wallet and camera. I knew someone who was relieved of both items after leaving Termini station (noted crime hotspot). The thieves were that good he didn't hear, feel or see a thing!

Don't miss a stroll on the Palatine hill - fantastic.

marie- on your first day- definately get on one ofthose tourist buses that take you round the city- you can hop on and off as much as you like and its far easyier than walking!!

Me and leanne have a lonely planet guide to rome if you want to borrow it?

I'd suggest the opposite - get a good map and walk everywhere. You'll be more relaxed and get to see things you'd otherwise miss. Just a personal preference, mind.

Am off to Rome next week and while I do intend to familiarise myself with the Rough Guide I was wondering if anyone who has been there can give me any tips what to see/ do, clubs etc?

Thanks

Rome is one of my most favourite cities. Here are my favourite places/hangouts:

-Illy Espresso bar (Galleria, Via Del Corso)

-Via del Condotti (fantastic shopping)

-Piazza Navona (best place to eat in the evenings, great atmosphere)

-Salotto 42 (If you go to one place in Rome it has to be here. My favourite bar in the whole world it's in the Piazza di Pietra)

-Piazza di Spagna (great place to fill your water bottle up)

-Vatican Museums (where the Cistine Chapel is, but you will walk miles before you reach it)

-The Vatican (even if you're not religious or a Catholic you have to visit this amazing place)

-Hard Rock Cafe (just to see the fake Cistine Chapel ceiling!)

-The Pantheon (which film do you recognise it from?)

-Colosseum + various ruins (interesting!)

-Trevi Fountain (Fontana di Trevi - throw coins in, you will come back to Rome)

Take a good pair of walking shoes with you. Some interesting areas are not served by the metro or bus routes. Definitely get a map of the city before u go or when u arrive. Some small side streets, especially if you decide to head towards the 'Old Town' area, (near the Pantheon), are not on the touristy maps, which only have main roads.

I agree with what's been said about problem with kids around the Termini area (= Rome's central train station). I've been twice, but I have heard of horror stories too, of kids just harrassing my friend's parents. Even though they travelled in a group of 4. Just basically keep your wits about you, and don't show any flashy cameras hanging round your neck, that kind of thing. Italy is one of those industrial-looking country. Certain areas are quite depressed. The further South you go, the more likely you'll encounter people just pick-pocketing. Also, don't bank on the policemen doing much. We've had several encounters just passing through Naples. Even on crowded buses. Oh, also expect some kind of 'coffee' money if you stop a local and ask for direction. Weird, but that's kinda the norm... don't be too surprised if they ask for money first.

- If you like shopping, there's two main roads running from Piazza Del Popolo (a square near Villa Borghese) Southwards, and it is like Rome's equivalent to UK's high streets. Lots and lots of shops. I don't think they sell this much in guide books, but if you wanna look at how the locals live, and what they eat. It's worth visiting.

- Villa Borghese - a huge park, which is definitely worth going, especially if you want an ariel view of the city from the North. A spot for fotos of the city. It's a fav spot for locals and families to go there. Lots to do, like boating, or cycling. Some street performers skating etc.

- Then there's the markets. It's worth visiting, cos they sell all sorts.

- Bring a bottle. Try the cool spring water pumped from the fountain outside the Vatican !! Recommended. ;)

- Some sites you may want to see at night instead of the day. i.e. Colosseum, the Roman Forum, Trevi fountain, and Spanish steps. Most monuments lit up at night, and it's better than it is during the day.

[Added] Vatican (where the Pope lives, I think he lives here...), definitely definitely worth a visit. The amount of marble used and the grandness of the place would just blow you away. Worth making that walk up to the top. (Ok, cheat and take a lift to the very top and THEN walk...) The foto opp for any photographer is just too good to miss.

Great stuff thanks. Will try and visit all of them! Have already been roped into going to the football too!

Are there 2 prices in cafes for drinks or something? how does that work?

Great stuff thanks. Will try and visit all of them! Have already been roped into going to the football too!

Are there 2 prices in cafes for drinks or something? how does that work?

even if you dont like football, the stadio olympico is AMAZING!!! they do this really cool jump up and down before each game starts and if you imagine 70,000 people doing that, the stadium shakes!!!! Chi non sat'e bianch'azzur'ale!! le!!

drinks wise, they always put a serive charge on, but be warey that it normally goes above what you should pay. Think it is normally 10%...

If you like Baroque sculpture you'll enjoy the Galleria Bourghesie

Get to Frascati and try the ice cream, then eat and drink in a cantina - lots of food, not lots of dosh to pay.

The centre of Rome is more spread out than you expect

Buy wine to take home - it's really cheap and pretty nice!

I intend to do that! We have a self catering apartment so I want to try loads of local food from the markets!

I'd second that - I'm not very good with heights and was very claustrophobic as a youngster (have only been able to calmly get in lifts in the last few years) so I found this a little traumatic. Not for those who dislike heights/small spaces or have heart trouble any kind of mobility impairment!

Must admit I'm pretty rubbish with heights as well. After managing to get up to the top I was really bricking it thinking I'd have to come down the narrow steps on the way back. I was both shocked and relieved that the stairway coming down was really wide and fairly straight!