Celing light wont switch on - advice

my electrics tripped the other night, when i flipped the switch back everything has gone back to normal except the light in one of the rooms, all the others work. ive changed the bulb and checked the switch and fitting and its all wired still. not sure what to do next...

could the switch or fitment itself have blown/broken? how would i know which one it could be to replace?

any help/advice would be great

Is it a dimmer switch?

Does the breaker trip when you turn that light on still?

no just a normal on off switch.

no nothing happens, the other lights upstairs work as normal

Assuming you have proven that the bulb in there works in other ceiling outlets, it's going to be the switch next. If it was a break in the main cable then probably other lights fed from it wouldn't be working. So the next thing is the check the light switch itself and also the ceiling rose loop connections - giving due consideration to your own safety of course being as it's mains electrics.

right ill buy a new swith today and try that then. yeah i switch the whole lot off to make sure lol

thanks for your help

Easiest way is to switch power off, wire both the switch wires into the same contact so they bypass the switch and then turn on the breaker. If the bulb lights then the switch is your problem and you can go buy a new pair.

(so you have a spare in the house - for what they cost and since they are all the same usually it's worth keeping a spare switch, and single/double socket in the house I find)

I've now replaced the bulb, switch and ceiling fitting and it still doesn't work :(

Any ideas

I've now replaced the bulb, switch and ceiling fitting and it still doesn't work :(

Any ideas

That only leaves the cable then.................

Any ideas

Yes, call an electrician, instead of trying to fix it using random bits of advice from a forum.