UKIP MEP appeals to EU parliament to save her from British justice

I don't consider expressing an opinion as bad behaviour, hence I support her right to express it and oppose those that want to punish her for expressing it, and I support her right to use what ever means she has at her disposal do defend herself and hope she is successful.

She's not defending herself. She's running away.

Defending herself would be going to court and justifying her actions.

I don't consider expressing an opinion as bad behaviour, hence I support her right to express it and oppose those that want to punish her for expressing it, and I support her right to use what ever means she has at her disposal do defend herself and hope she is successful.

She didn't just express an opinion though - she made an allegation of fact.

Perhaps if she'd said "I think they knew but chose not to do anything about it" she wouldn't be in the position she is now.

She does of course have every right to defend herself by what ever means she has at her disposal but her chances of success are minimal. The UK judge isn't even bound to follow whatever the EU Parliament decides regarding her immunity.

She's not defending herself. She's running away.

Defending herself would be going to court and justifying her actions.

She already tried defending her self but as probably lost faith in the system, I don't really blame her for that.

Mr Justice Warby doesn't accept that she was expressing an opinion, instead he thinks she was expressing a statement of fact.

Saying they must have known isn't the same as saying they did know, hence what she said was an opinion and Mr Justice Warby is wrong.

I'm sure that if you stood to loose £450K just because someone misunderstood what you said you would also do what ever you could to avoid paying it.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 18:35 ----------

She didn't just express an opinion though - she made an allegation of fact.

That's an opinion that I don't share.

She already tried defending her self but as probably lost faith in the system, I don't really blame her for that.

Mr Justice Warby doesn't accept that she was expressing an opinion, instead he thinks she was expressing a statement of fact.

Saying they must have known isn't the same as saying they did know, hence what she said was an opinion and Mr Justice Warby is wrong.

I'm sure that if you stood to loose £450K just because someone misunderstood what you said you would also do what ever you could to avoid paying it.

Nope. That's why we have appeals.

That's an opinion that I don't share.

You are of course at liberty to disagree with the Judge's opinion. Whether you are qualified to dispute his opinion is another matter.

The point is that MP's lie all the time, and this forum is full of defamatory stuff said about MP's. If they sued every time someone said something bad about them they would have to set up camp in court.

I believe that if an accusation is in the public domain, you cannot be sued for using it.

Angel1.

You are of course at liberty to disagree with the Judge's opinion. Whether you are qualified to dispute his opinion is another matter.

or the judge being a clever bloke knows that if he says one of the 3 allegations is a fact that at least she will be done for one thing instead of getting away with all 3 :suspect:

Of cause they all would. You are spot on there.

Of cause they all would. You are spot on there.

And if we were going against previously expressed principles in doing so we'd be hypocrites like this woman is.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 19:09 ----------

or the judge being a clever bloke knows that if he says one of the 3 allegations is a fact that at least she will be done for one thing instead of getting away with all 3 :suspect:

The are rules for what legally counts as an allegation of a fact. If the judge hasn't followed them Collins will be able to look forward to an appeal. If he has, she won't.

Edited by altus

Behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case:

So how does that fit with your idea that she is an hypocrite.

The hypocrites are the people that support the EU but whinge when its used in a way they don't like.

sigh nope, try again, i dont mind the EU, i dont mind how she has used it, but shes a hypocrite for using it when shes supposedly against the EU.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hypocrite

a hypocrite is somebody he pretends to be something they arent

ie:- pretending to be against the EU then using it for yourself when it suits

Now you profess to know better than Warby J - maybe you should offer your services pro bono to her legal team - desperate stuff pal, desperate

He expressed an opinion just like me, the only person that knows what was meant is Jane, I just happen to agree with her, she might be lying but the words she spoke did sound more like opinion than a statement of fact. Maybe it just the way we speak.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 20:22 ----------

And if we were going against previously expressed principles in doing so we'd be hypocrites like this woman is.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 19:09 ----------

The are rules for what legally counts as an allegation of a fact. If the judge hasn't followed them Collins will be able to look forward to an appeal. If he has, she won't.

You mean like whinging about someone using the system you support.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 20:26 ----------

sigh nope, try again, i dont mind the EU, i dont mind how she has used it, but shes a hypocrite for using it when shes supposedly against the EU.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hypocrite

a hypocrite is somebody he pretends to be something they arent

ie:- pretending to be against the EU then using it for yourself when it suits

She hasn't pretended to be something she isn't, she is an MEP and she has never pretended that she isn't, and with that comes some privileges they may or may not help her in this situation, a situation she wouldn't have been in if she hadn't been a UKIP MEP.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 20:31 ----------

Now you profess to know better than Warby J - maybe you should offer your services pro bono to her legal team - desperate stuff pal, desperate

No I'm saying he expressed an opinion on what her words meant, and I expressed an opinion on what her words meant. He says she's a lier and I interpreted her words in the way she says they should have been interpreted. Maybe he just isn't used to the way she speaks. It happens all the time, I say something on here and several people think they know what I mean more than me.

Edited by sutty27