HSBC to shed 595 IT jobs and close branches in Sheffield

Anyone who intensely loves banks probably needs medication.

Anyone who intensely loves banks that evade tax, launder criminal money and defraud the British Public is probably an idiot.

Banks don't give two hoots whether people love them, and the idea that a little tender lovin' for banks would keep them in this country is beyond satire.

People are losing their jobs. The same people that keep pubs, sandwich shops, the high street etc in business. The same people that buy houses, add value to the local community and pay an awful lot in tax. It's that tax that pays the benefits of your type, allows you to faff all day on the internet, get fat, and get free health care.

Think on.

This thread is getting seriously off track. Let's not forget that this is terrible news, every other person who works in an IT in the Sheffield area seems to work for HSBC, they employ a huge number of people. Where will the jobs come from if HSBC scales down their operations in Sheffield? The local economy simply isn't going to generate mass numbers of new IT jobs so many people will be stuck on the motorway for hours commuting or will have to move to other cities if they want to work.

The IT industry in Sheffield is much bigger than HSBC, but I do think it will have an impact.

Probably not so much on me, as they haven't had developers in Sheffield in any number for years now.

The IT industry in Sheffield is much bigger than HSBC, but I do think it will have an impact.

Probably not so much on me, as they haven't had developers in Sheffield in any number for years now.

They do have developers there. I know at least 10 people in development roles at Silver Street.

They do have developers there. I know at least 10 people in development roles at Silver Street.

Indeed, some of us are developers there....

I was under the impression that all development was done offshore for some time. My mistake.

Perhaps that was just the department I was working for.

My job for 6 months was to manage an offshore dev team and review the work they were producing. The bank moved so slowly that no requirements were ever signed off and I basically did nothing except attend requirements meetings for 6 months, then left.

Are you sure? Many people you met today remember HSBC Sheffield jobs from yesterday papers and national news.

'Many people you met today'

Is that what you meant to type? Sorry, you've lost me. I don't recall talking to anyone outside of this thread about those job losses, and unless I know you personally (I'm not sure?!) I don't see how you'd know that anyway?

I know one person who works for HSBC IT and may well be affected by this. I haven't had a chance to ask him yet.

I still maintain (despite foxylady's strange assertion) that the link between HSBC and Sheffield is generally unheard of by most people outside of the city, and so is unlikely to be the root cause for moving jobs away from here, in the light of Hillsborough etc.

It's in the spotlight now, but the national press will move on and national conciousness will fade again, sadly.

Received a letter today saying the Ecclesall Road, Hillsborough, Woodseats and one of their Fargate branches are all closing. This is such a shame. This, coupled with the huge IT job losses locally made me wonder about transferring my account to another bank. I phoned to discuss it with someone and an automated recording told me there was in excess of a 25 minute wait.

I wonder how long the Woodseats branch has been there? I think it's a great building. I remember it used to be the Midland before HSBC took over. I've seen an old painting of Woodseats with a tram going past the bank, so I'm assuming it's pretty old.

I don't want to have to go to town to put a cheque in, that's far too inconvenient for me, and so is a 25+ minute wait to speak to someone about it. Looks like customers don't have much of a choice unless they take their business elsewhere. :(

I left the HSBC for Lloyds when they closed both my local branches.

The changeover was seamless and you only need to talk to the bank you are changing to. They arrange everything.

I left the HSBC for Lloyds when they closed both my local branches.

The changeover was seamless and you only need to talk to the bank you are changing to. They arrange everything.

Thank you. That is helpful. Will they do this for multiple accounts, do you know?

Yes, it is much easier these days - there's the current account switch service that moves everything over (your balance and direct debits) in 7 days and then redirects payments to your old bank details to your new account. You just have to do it as part of your new bank account application and that's it. There's loads of great bank accounts out there too - with good interest rates/cashback, or a bonus of £100 for switching to them.

Just so you know though, you can still pay in cash and cheques at any post office, though you need to get some paying in slips and deposit envelopes from HSBC for the cheques.

Fargate is moving to 47 or 49 fargate according to a notice on the closing branch