Travel to Manchester airport

So tomorrow I'm off to Manchester Airport. Travelling from Crystal Peaks. Flight at 7pm. Aiming to be there for around 4.30. Any advice on what time I should be leaving? Worried about traffic to Manchester at that time of day and hold ups. Also any hints on what way to head rather than the sat nav way.

Why get there at 4:30am for a 7am flight? You need to be at the check-in desk 1 hour before, regardless of what they tell you you will get on the flight.

Travelling so early in the morning you shouldn't have any traffic problems, go the sat-nav route, especially if yours has live updates.

Why get there at 4:30am for a 7am flight? You need to be at the check-in desk 1 hour before, regardless of what they tell you you will get on the flight.

Travelling so early in the morning you shouldn't have any traffic problems, go the sat-nav route, especially if yours has live updates.

Flew out of Manchester yesterday at 8am on a KLM flight and baggage screening was extremely intensive and time consuming, I would allow much more than an hour. It did not help when the scanning equipment failed and there was a large build up of baggage being rescanned. The national security service has put the country on increased alert because of an Irish threat http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36267052 I suspect that was the reason.

The flight is at 19.00 we aim to get there at 16.30.

We want to be early as we have heard some horror stories about Manchester Airport and it's new security equipment.

Because it leaves a little leeway for unforeseen delays like car breakdown.

It depends on the terminal, and where you're flying to but generally you won't even be able to check in until 2 hours before. I flew from T1 a month ago and it took maybe 10 mins to get through security, but I gave previously spent a long time getting through T3 security.

Most of the traffic goes in the opposite direction to the way you are travelling. You could go via Snake Pass and get there in 1hr 35. Via Winnats, Whaley, Dean Row, Styal it'd be about the same. Might be quicker if you are at that side of Sheffield.

Travelling so early in the morning you shouldn't have any traffic problems.

total no-brainer. Why anybody would possibly want to use a car to get to Manchester Airport from Sheffield is beyond me. I always take the train. Booked in advance it can cost less than a tenner and you are pushing a trolley towards departures 75 minutes after you get on it.

while taking the train is the easiest and most hassle-free way, you should always allow plenty of time and aiming to get there to the airport between two and three hours before the flight leaves, regardless of what mode of transportation you select to get there. Once in Thailand the taxi I was in that was halfway through a journey - and very early in the morning, with no traffic too - from Ayuthaya to Suvarnbhumi airport got a flat tyre. Luckily the driver did have a jack and was able to change pretty quickly and we were only delayed by about half an hour. Had I been arrogantly trying to run it close to the wire by aiming to get there like only an hour before the departure time, I'd have missed the flight. And if I had, it would have been all my own fault.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags

The flight is at 19.00 we aim to get there at 16.30.

We want to be early as we have heard some horror stories about Manchester Airport and it's new security equipment.

Your real problem will be rush hour traffic, so you're right to get there as early as you can.

I would go by train, the direct service from Sheffield Central is pretty reliable and saves you having to worry about parking etc.

If you are going by car, it can be done pretty reliably in 1,5 hours including Mottram but you might be better off going the back-door route through the Peaks.

If you arrive late you get a special priority pass that allows you to bypass all the security queues and go straight to the security check. You're through security in minutes.

Train is ok unless you get back around 2am as I once did, the next train was about 5.00am. Not much fun sitting about waiting for 3 hours.

letts hope he/she isnt going with the company i use.

http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/en-us/articles/206466538-When-does-the-check-in-counter-close-

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags