Blades confirm Wilder appointment

As title.Thoughts?

Fantastic chance to take a big club forward and cement his growing reputation as a manager,expectations will be sky high as he well knows,but he's done the same journey with us as a player,plenty of experience at this level as a player and as we've seen many times,if you've got a squad of players that gets you out of the 2nd division,it's entirely possible to go through the first,an he's got plenty of experience at building teams,time to start building one here.

Good luck to him.

Fair play to McCabe for moving fast and giving the guy the whole summer to start putting his stamp on things.

Still not sure if Adkins should have been given more time, but thats gone now.

It'll be nice to have someone in the seat with some genuine passion for the club again.

Like I said....good luck to him. He'll probably need it.

Alan Knill is a decent guy to have coming in as assistant,loads of experience at this level and locally with Rotherham,knows what it's like to manage as well.

I'm split,i'd have like the board to have given Adkins more time but with the players he brought in i don't think i'd have trusted him with any money.

On another point the board are making a rod for their backs,if Wilder doesn't get us promoted next season then what.

We cant keep on hiring and firing managers one year into a three year contracts,the jobs already looking toxic.

I'm split,i'd have like the board to have given Adkins more time but with the players he brought in i don't think i'd have trusted him with any money.

On another point the board are making a rod for their backs,if Wilder doesn't get us promoted next season then what.

We cant keep on hiring and firing managers one year into a three year contracts,the jobs already looking toxic.

First things first,we have lost the bond between fans/players/manager,and that needs to be created,firstly by how Chris Wilder comes over in the media,and then by his actions in recruitment and then tactics and results.Fans are fed up of of having the equivalent of a vacuum cleaner salesman telling them exactly what they saw with their own eyes with added spin.

Nigel Clough was a bit aloof,but 100% better than Adkins in just about everything.We need players who are ready to make a mark a nd be proud to be a Blade,putting in the required heart and effort that fans expect,and I am sure that Wilder will already have grasped this or he wouldn't have taken the job,but gone to Charlton or Bolton instead.

We will see from who he brings in during the close season and who he keeps as the first signs of what we can expect,just like the alarm bells began ringing when Woolford got brought in last season.He needs to take the bull by the horns and assemble a team in his mould,enough of giving players a chance to prove themselves.If he thinks that certain players have undersold themselves this season and can give more,then fair enough,but I expect from a new manager to have his own ideas and vision,and the ability to bring in players that can apply it on the pitch....they don't cost millions as other teams have been proving to us as long as we have been in this division this time around.

It'll be interesting to see which players Wilder can actually attract.

I thought Adkins, with his pedigree (of sorts) & success should have been able to attract better players than he actually brought in. Or was it that he could....but finances didn't allow?

I'm not sure a combination of Wilder + McCabe + Division One + Finances + perceived ambition of the club is a glittering attraction for luring good and ambitious players.

I hope it is...but I'm not so sure

I thought Adkins, with his pedigree (of sorts) & success should have been able to attract better players than he actually brought in. Or was it that he could....but finances didn't allow?

I'm not sure a combination of Wilder + McCabe + Division One + Finances + perceived ambition of the club is a glittering attraction for luring good and ambitious players.

i wouldve thought the blades being in league one for a while now PLUS the lack of available funds for players would be the main stumbling block for a lot of players?

Point is though, they should be able to compete for the better players of a L1 standard for next season - Charlton and Bolton both make us look like a well run club at the moment! He will have had a few seasons looking around and having his eye on players who are talented at this level - rather than final paydays for old mates like Hammond and Woolford. Hopefully this means Hammond will return to his parent club...

I don't think there will be that much expectation next season - not been that competitive for a while now, and it's not like he's a big name.

If nothing else, I hope he can stop the rot and bring in or bring through players who, whatever their technical limitations, will give their all and play with pride - and not go missing like so many times last season.

Adkins was unfortunate to lose his best player almost immediately, kneecapping his whole preparation, and i'm sure he will do well elsewhere. But his signings were generally far from inspiring...

I see Marc McNulty has just scored for Pompey, still our player though. I'm not sure how long his deal is at the Lane though, but I understood he would be coming back after his loan spell ends... we could really have done with him in the squad last season (and also Michael Doyle, also at Pompey was much missed - after being released by Clough).

It's one thing selling your best players for high fees, but letting them go for free or on loan when you're struggling...

Edited by sheff71

McNulty just won the penalty for the second Pompey goal.

Good luck to him,should be a very popular appointment,youd have to hope he gets the backing.

Certainly makes for an interesting comming season at S2.