Wii U .. help needed

Hi there,

Looking for buying a Wii U for my 11 year old boy. He wants Mario kart, sport resort and Up. Where can I buy Wii U with the best price? I saw one in Argos which £30 more than that of Amazon. I saw another one in Tesco Direct, which says Mario pre installed. All the Wii U comes with Mario pre-installed or not?

Do I need to take 3 year product guarantee with it or not?? please help me.

thanks

Where can I buy Wii U with the best price?
Wherever is cheapest and reputable. Amazon is as good as any other source, we got ours from Amazon way-back-when. Point your browser to Hot UK Deals and look up the latest Wii U deals on there? Or see below re. a 2nd hand unit from CEX or the like (with guarantee).

All the Wii U comes with Mario pre-installed or not?
Not to my knowledge, I think this will be a limited or special edition (i.e. some other limited or special edition may include a different game instead).

Do I need to take 3 year product guarantee with it or not??
We've had ours 3 years and never a problem but, saying that, it's not been used intensively and there have been reports of failing units.

Tip: Nintendo are making increasing noises about their next console (the 'Nintendo NX') with some more announcements shortly to come, which are bound to reduce the Wii U price still further, so maybe hold on a bit if you can.

Tip: personally, as this console is now nearing its end of retail life, I'd be looking to buy a second-hand unit on here, Gumtree or eBay, far far cheaper than retail (2nd hand Wii U prices are currently plummeting due to the earlier and ongoing NX announcements, as more and more owners are seemingly getting rid of theirs). So perhaps a 2nd hand unit from CEX (with guarantee) would still be significantly cheaper than retail, whilst insulating you from the risk of buying a faulty 2nd hand unit.

Edited by L00b

I think the Wii U is soon to be discontinued, you're going to end up buying it and find they stop making games 6 months down the line.

Most of the major publishers stopped making Wii games ages ago, I think it's only really Nintendo making them now anyway, and they're fixing to stop soon.

Would an older Wii not do? You can pick up a decent amount of kit second hand for under £20.

I think the Wii U is soon to be discontinued, you're going to end up buying it and find they stop making games 6 months down the line.

Most of the major publishers stopped making Wii games ages ago, I think it's only really Nintendo making them now anyway, and they're fixing to stop soon

There has never been much 3rd party support for the Wii U, right from the start, so that won't be much of a change ;)

But much of the few Wii U titles (few relative to PS3, xbox 360, PS4, xbox one libraries) are high quality games, with HD graphics outshining most 360/PS3 titles. Mario Kart Wii U in full HD on a large screen is a sight to behold.

Would an older Wii not do? You can pick up a decent amount of kit second hand for under £20.
It's a good suggestion, considering the games under consideration. Neither Mario Kart Wii U nor Sports Resort Wii U are worth a £100+ differential in console price relative to Mario Kart Wii and Sports Resort Wii.

There has never been much 3rd party support for the Wii U, right from the start, so that won't be much of a change ;)

But much of the few Wii U titles (few relative to PS3, xbox 360, PS4, xbox one libraries) are high quality games, with HD graphics outshining most 360/PS3 titles. Mario Kart Wii U in full HD on a large screen is a sight to behold.

It's a good suggestion, considering the games under consideration. Neither Mario Kart Wii U nor Sports Resort Wii U are worth a £100+ differential in console price relative to Mario Kart Wii and Sports Resort Wii.

I disagree - the Wii U is a far superior console, HDMI output, full surround sound (if you have the capability) and the controller with a screen is MUCH better, you can play your games without taking over the TV - like a handheld almost! :D

But as said above, I would hold out a couple of months until the NX announcements, the price will drop dramatically...

Oddly enough, an original boxed Wii Mario Kart game alone can fetch upto £20 now!

I disagree - the Wii U is a far superior console, <etc.>
Did I say that the Wii U console is an "inferior" console? :huh:

I don't want an argument here, but please don't put words in my mouth: I have owned just about every console for the past 3 decades and longer, still own an xbox one (Wii U is daughter's and 360 passed down to her), and am just being reasonably objective here, and hopefully informative for the OP :)

Say all you want, by modern standards (previous and current generations) the Wii U only has a small library of games (excluding the retrocompatible Wii titles, much of which is shovelware), most of which are highly-polished and supremely-playable affairs.

For me it was perfectly worth it just for Splatoon, Mario Kart 7, Hyrule Warriors and Twilight Princess HD.

GAME and CEX would be your best bet for a good second hand console. Maybe you could get one in the Classified Ads on here.

Did I say that the Wii U console is an "inferior" console? :huh:

I don't want an argument here, but please don't put words in my mouth: I have owned just about every console for the past 3 decades and longer, still own an xbox one (Wii U is daughter's and 360 passed down to her), and am just being reasonably objective here, and hopefully informative for the OP :)

Say all you want, by modern standards (previous and current generations) the Wii U only has a small library of games (excluding the retrocompatible Wii titles, much of which is shovelware), most of which are highly-polished and supremely-playable affairs.

I didn't say you said it was inferior, I was just saying I disagree with your comments on the price difference, Which I was justifying with my post....

you have been on here a long time, you should know not to take everything exactly as written, as emotion and context doesn't come over very well!

There is also the fact the WiiU can play Wii games which is especially useful if the TV is being used by someone else as you can use the WiiU controller as a screen for many WiiU and all Wii games. (Wii controller required for Wii games)

The picture quality of Wii games is also marginally less unpleasant over HDMI and pretty much a perfect match for the WiiU gamepads screen resolution.