Bringing my American wife over for the first time, need some ideas

you've already realised the best day trips. Chatsworth obviously with perhaps a British-style picnic.

York is the best all-in tourist destination within easy reach. Very do-able in a day trip, but there is so many things to be getting on with, including night attractions, you might even want to consider staying in a B&B one night.

it's summer so there might be a cricket match to watch - something totally different to anything in the states and new to her. Though a game where you have to pay for admittance like a county match would still be good, if you go to Chatsworth on a weekend, especially Sundays, try to find out if there's a village match going on on that day you could take in for an hour or two. She won't have seen anything like it before.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, Got train tickets to York sorted, it's actually my first time visiting the city as far as I can remember, so I'm really looking forward to it, obviously going to be visiting all of the museums, I've made quite a large list of places in York. Also decided we're gonna spend a day in Whitby, again a place I've never been.

Got a day in London planned since I found out the Coach from Sheffield drops you off at Victoria station, pretty much bang next to all the touristy spots, Buckingham Palace, London Eye etc.

Also heading out to Castleton, Hope, most likely checking out the caverns around there and then going down to Bakewell/Baslow, Chatsworth House.

I have a family member that wants to spend a day taking us up to North Yorkshire alsom but not 100% on which specific villages she wants to take us to.

bolsover castle is brilliant at the moment.if you check out the site im sure theyre doing jousting at sometime

bolsover castle is brilliant at the moment.if you check out the site im sure theyre doing jousting at sometime

Bolsover Castle was actually somewhere I was considering, I'll definitely look into that!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, Got train tickets to York sorted, it's actually my first time visiting the city as far as I can remember, so I'm really looking forward to it, obviously going to be visiting all of the museums, I've made quite a large list of places in York. Also decided we're gonna spend a day in Whitby, again a place I've never been.

Got a day in London planned since I found out the Coach from Sheffield drops you off at Victoria station, pretty much bang next to all the touristy spots, Buckingham Palace, London Eye etc.

Also heading out to Castleton, Hope, most likely checking out the caverns around there and then going down to Bakewell/Baslow, Chatsworth House.

I have a family member that wants to spend a day taking us up to North Yorkshire alsom but not 100% on which specific villages she wants to take us to.

Nice local attractions there :hihi:

No one has yet mentioned Wortley Hall and gardens which is just outside Sheffield and is lovely. I visited the other day for a tour of the house (which is owned via shares by people who belong to trade unions). It was very interesting.

There is the house itself where they do cream teas and have carvery and gourmet meals on different days,and other different events. There are the gardens, rose gardens and the more extensive wilder parts of the grounds including a pond which had a system for feeding the winter ice into an ice house which is still there underground.

There is an oak tree which is between 350 - 500 years old, completely hollow and still living. And the walled garden run by Heeley City Farm which is a fully operational organic kitchen garden again complete with orchard.

They sometimes have conventions there, you'd have to check, the last one I went to was a Riley car gathering and they had all the pre 1930s cars lined up in front of the hall.

The village itself has a fantastic pub with award winning food.

If you check in the tourist info office by the winter gardens they can give you info on the walking tours they do.

Def have a look at the Cathedral as it has been renovated also the catholic cathedral St Maries which is in the process of having a face lift too.

The General Cemetery is having the chapel restored and they do tours also Wardsend Cemetery has got it's act together and they do tours and have big plans for future heritage events.

Hills Fest a big new arts festival in Hillsborough Park is on the 9th/10th July I believe.

Abbeydale picture House is coming along fantastically - they have regular event and film showings there.

Really, you'd need a month just to get round the things already suggested! There is so much more but I think you'd end up with too much choice :)

its all happening at bolsover castle over the bank holiday weekend with knights and medieval battles

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 01:08 ----------

if you get to bakewell or castleton dont forget a quick visit to little johns grave at hathersage ...one of the free attractions ..and if your in mansfield theres the major oak at edwinstowe

No one seems to have mentioned it but there are daily (Not Sundays) walking tours of the city centre from outside the Tourist Office at the back of the Winter Gardens. They are usually run by Marcus who is a friendly, knowledgable chap. 10.30 departure.

http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/visit/attractions/outdoors/guided-walks-and-tours

And if the timing is right, do the walking tour to find lots of large mammals.

http://www.herdofsheffield.com/

Nice local attractions there :hihi:

Hi Mayfly - bad protocol but I have pm'd you and have no idea if it worked! **WAVES** No idea how else to grab your attention. My email is jackdawrumbucket AT gmail DOT com. <3

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 08:50 ----------

If you're off to York - make some time to catch the street performances in Kings Square - if you see the York Fire eater (although I believe he doesn't actually fire eat there anymore - just knife juggling on a 14' Unicycle blindfold with machete's :P ) I guarentee you will enjoy the show. Street shows in York are marvellous :D

All the places in the Peaks are wonderful - as is a gentle stroll down Rivelin Valley, which starts off beautiful and ends up stunning as you walk further along towards the Peaks. And it's free :)

I love Haddon Hall. Well worth a visit. You could combine it with a visit to Bakewell which is also lovely.

Ecclesall Road and the one behind it (?) is good for a bit of quirky shopping. There will also be quite a few local fairs, craft fairs, galas etc taking place in the summer, so worth keeping an eye on the local press. And of course there's Tramlines Festival.

Take your wife to crystal peak I am sure she will like it.