Bringing my American wife over for the first time, need some ideas

I'm bringing my wife home for a couple of weeks at the end of June/early July, we live in Texas (I moved over to America 2 years ago), wondered if anyone had any ideas of things to do around Sheffield, obviously I have the obvious things on my list, walking around the city centre and heading to the Peace/Winter gardens, Weston Park Museum, Orchard Square/general shopping, she's into Asian food so we're gonna take a walk down London Road, head over to Meadowhall etc. Basically anything that would help show off my great home city.

The places you plan to visit are perfect. My wife is also American (New Jersey). She fell in love with the place and now lives here.

You could try NOT taking her to Meadowhell :-)

I'd add the Botanical gardens to that list, but then I like gardens. How about more history stuff? Chatsworth would be good if you want to go a bit further away. Walking in the Peak district? A trip to Castleton to see the Blue John caverns and Mam Tor? A trip to the antiques quarter?

The places you plan to visit are perfect. My wife is also American (New Jersey). She fell in love with the place and now lives here.

Ah that's great, I've got to be honest, we've considered moving back as well, we've agreed to wait a few more years before making any drastic decisions. My wife was born (and we currently live) in Texas and surprisingly she hates the hot weather here.

---------- Post added 10-05-2016 at 19:20 ----------

You could try NOT taking her to Meadowhell :-)

I'd add the Botanical gardens to that list, but then I like gardens. How about more history stuff? Chatsworth would be good if you want to go a bit further away. Walking in the Peak district? A trip to Castleton to see the Blue John caverns and Mam Tor? A trip to the antiques quarter?

Castleton is actually something I was considering, I saw the bus is easy enough to get from town out to the Peaks, definitely would like more history related places, Botanical Gardens is something I completely forgot about.

Hope Valley is my favourite place, so you could try somewhere along there.

Castleton is actually something I was considering, I saw the bus is easy enough to get from town out to the Peaks, definitely would like more history related places, Botanical Gardens is something I completely forgot about.

You could go to Abbeydale Industrial hamlet and then it's a short walk to Abbeydale Minature railway (which is only open once a fortnight though)

I'm sure you can look up museums and stuff yourself, but don't forget old churches to visit.

You can actually take a bus to Chatsworth too.

You could probably skip the shopping unless that's a favourite pasttime of hers, I hear America has shops :-)

You could go to Abbeydale Industrial hamlet and then it's a short walk to Abbeydale Minature railway (which is only open once a fortnight though)

I'm sure you can look up museums and stuff yourself, but don't forget old churches to visit.

You can actually take a bus to Chatsworth too.

You could probably skip the shopping unless that's a favourite pasttime of hers, I hear America has shops :-)

Isn't shopping the favourite pastime of all women? :gag:

You've made some great suggestions there, I've never been to the miniature railway but that sounds like a brilliant place to visit, i'll have to look into that, I never would have known about that so thanks for that!

If she likes beer there are plenty of good pubs in Sheffield ;)

So many nice things to go and see! Chatsworth should be on the list I suppose, as should the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Barbara Hepworth in Wakey (the last two combine for a great day out), Americans are used to a bit of travel ;)

Proper Chinese food - go to Wong Ting on Matilda Street, don't be put off by the awkward front door/stairs - it is the best proper Chinese restaurant in Sheffield as evident from the huge number of Chinese students that eat there.

I'd definitely take in some of the parks as well, Weston Park and Graves Park?

I'd show her stuff they don't have in the States. Chatsworth is a good idea, but Haddon Hall is more romantically mediaeval.

Carl Wark, which is Iron Age.

Cute Peak District villages.

combine one of the homes - chatsworth/haddon etc, with afternoon tea. might be a little more pricey doing it at/around there but how decadent and utterly English?

One of the peak villages would be a nice place for that as well though. Just stay away from the 'easy options' in the city centre.

How long have you been away from Sheffield, as a fair bit has changed, even if it does seem slow progress to those who haven't been away!