South Yorks Police in trouble again

Seriously? The report doesn't state that the people being filmed were in a public place, what if they were in their homes? And what a waste of public money, the chopper is very expensive to run.

The helicopter can't see through roof tiles, and I'm fairly sure you'd notice it hovering outside your bedroom window...

Presumably the issue here is misuse of police property, not some invasion of privacy crime (which to my knowledge doesn't exist).

They are being charged with misconduct in public office. It has more to do with them being policemen and abusing that position so as to damage the reputation of the police.

Just wondering if it is normal practice for serving police officers home addresses to be made public ?

I always thought they all lived at 999 Letsbe Avenue.

Have you not just answered you own question!?!

No. I think 999trigger has answered the question though. Misconduct in public office. That sounds like the reason why it is going through the courts.

If this is going to be the SYP thread, they're in the news here:

Sir Cliff Richard file sent to Crown Prosecution Service

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36261170

With SYP's credibility in tatters, should another force handle this?

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 11:50 ----------

I always thought they all lived at 999 Letsbe Avenue.

The helicopter used to:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Letsby+Ave,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S9/@53.3956122,-1.400877,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487977c3772a9353:0xa4b1e940b7ae6f81!8m2!3d53.395609!4d-1.3986883

I have seen this sort of desperate journalism before.

There is a bandwagon rolling here, after Hillsborough lets see what else we can smear the force with.

Officers - even those on assignment elsewhere are still entitled to time off just like the rest of us in the working world.

If I had a secondment in Greece, Spain or wherever I too may choose to have some drinks, lay on a beach or sit by a pool during my time off.

Listened to Kerry Needham on breakfast tele and she had nothing but praise for the officers in Greece saying how good they were to her and her family and the fact they were entitled to downtime. If she has no problem with it cannot see how anybody else should.

Allegedly they used the thermal imaging camera!

https://www.facebook.com/onlinesheffield/

To see a blurry heat blob that could be 1 or 2 people, through roof tiles, loft space, insulation and then ceiling.

---------- Post added 12-05-2016 at 14:34 ----------

Listened to Kerry Needham on breakfast tele and she had nothing but praise for the officers in Greece saying how good they were to her and her family and the fact they were entitled to downtime. If she has no problem with it cannot see how anybody else should.

Pretty much what I thought as well. They aren't on duty 24/7 even when they've been sent abroad. So if they've worked 5 * 8 hrs and have the next day off and want to get a few beers in, then why is it anyone else's business.