Engine oil - Halfords, or branded?

I wanted to buy some engine oil to top up, and was wondering if there is much difference between the cheaper Halford engine oils, and the more expensive branded ones?

I needed oil of specification "5W30 Fully Synthetic"

The Halfords own brand is £35 for 5 litres, while Mobil/Castrol sell the same for £52 and above.

Nowt wrong with the Halfords oil. Why pay over the odds for a name?

Should be fine, it's also worth checking out Euro Car Parts and Carparts4less as they do oil pretty cheap.

Double check you don't need oil to meet a certain specification, each car manufacturer has an odd little code you need to check.

ie VW 505.01

Nothing wrong with Halfords oil, I've used it several times. I've also used Carlube 10w40 Semi Synthetic, this is on offer at the moment £9.99 for 5 litres at B&M Home Bargains.

Double check you don't need oil to meet a certain specification, each car manufacturer has an odd little code you need to check.

ie VW 505.01

Mine says VW 507 00

Any idea which oil would suit me please :help:

Mine says VW 507 00

Any idea which oil would suit me please :help:

Castrol Edge 5W30. You can usually buy this reasonably cheaply in ASDA. It's a low ash oil so it does cost a bit more. You may find that the fully synthetic Halfords one is also to that spec - have a look on the small print on the label.

Edit: prices are £32 for 4 litres at the moment on special offer - it's uaully about £38 for 4 litres.

Class car engine oil as it's blood, use the best you can afford.

Angel1.

It dosent matter what make or price or label is on the tin as long as you use the correct oil and grade specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle...

I personally prefer to use better quality oils as apposed to the cheapo chip fat type oils, reason being is they tend to have more additives to reduce friction and potential sludge etc.

Best rule of thumb with any engine oil is to stick to the correct viscosity recommended by the manufacture and ensure fully synthetic where recommended.

Also be aware of any API recommendation for you're engine too, it should be listed in the oil recommendations in the vehicle owners manual.

Details of API "HERE"

Do you need 5 litres? A litre might be plenty as it will all be replaced when you have the car serviced. A litre of good oil might be a better buy than 5 litres of cheap

Details of API "HERE"

This was very informative - thanks :)

---------- Post added 10-05-2016 at 23:24 ----------

Would this do?

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A5 1L

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=278910131

Also, Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 seems to come in different types like A5, C2, C3 - what is the difference between them? And which one is best suited for a VW please?

Then there is also the Castrol Edge. The castrol website claims that the Castrol Edge is suitable for VWs - can I take their word for it?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=290364570

http://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/products/cars/engine-oils/castrol-edge/trusted-and-recommended/volkswagen-chooses-castrol-edge.html

Edited by the_mandarin

As I noted above - you need the Castrol Edge. The magnatec doesnt have the specification that you need for your car.