AL Turner, Tailors shop, Devonshire St.

Does anyone have any memories or photographs concerning my Grandfather's tailoring business at 129 Devonshire St.

His tailors shop A.L.TURNER The Modern Tailor, was at 129 Devonshire St and had been there since 1905. On 25th September 1935 it moved to 15 Westfield Terrace.

My father Cyril Turner also worked there and had an Apprenticeship Indenture. 18th Feb 1929 for three years at HW Bray's of 20 Pinstone St. Sheffield. At 5 shillings (25p) per week.

Would love to have more information.

Many thanks

Richard Turner

I am re-posting this as I never had any response at all.

Someone out there must know something :(

Does anyone have any memories or photographs concerning my Grandfather's tailoring business at 129 Devonshire St.

His tailors shop A.L.TURNER The Modern Tailor, was at 129 Devonshire St and had been there since 1905. On 25th September 1935 it moved to 15 Westfield Terrace.

My father Cyril Turner also worked there and had an Apprenticeship Indenture. 18th Feb 1929 for three years at HW Bray's of 20 Pinstone St. Sheffield. At 5 shillings (25p) per week.

Would love to have more information.

Many thanks

Richard Turner

I think that I remember the Westfield Terrace shop, however I was born in 1947, when did the shop cease trading? I spent a lot of time at the nearby Glossop Road Baths in the mid 1950’s, and started work at a tailors shop in the city centre in the early 60’s, so I took notice of such retailers.

My Grandad died in the early years of WW2 and my Dad was in the army in Burma until the war ended. So I think it was around 1941 when my Grandmother closed the shop and moved to her sister in London.

You’ve got me thinking there then, as I recall a tailors shop on Westfield Terrace with a window display full of suit cloth lengths. As for H.W.Bray’s, I recall it being called Bray Bros, and it trading in high class men’s outfitting, very interestingly it was run by Squadron Leader (ret) Robert (Bob) Bray.

Theres still a tailor on Westfield Terrace.

My dads apprenticeship papers were signed by Henry William Bray.

My dads apprenticeship papers were signed by Henry William Bray.

He would have been Bob Bray’s father.

I could only find this one:

Turner, A.& Son (, tailors).

Address: 130 Barker's Pool, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

Then this one:

TURNER, Arthur Louis (~, Tailor).

Address: 129 Devonshire Street, ~ in 1925.

Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly's Directory.

Both courtesy of Sheffield Indexers.

There are several photos of 129 Westfield Terrace on Picture Sheffield, they're for a later time when it was the Forum Café/Outfitters but, it shows you how the building looked.

Regards,

Duffems

Edited by DUFFEMS

The second one from Kelly's is definitely my Grand Father.

Thanks for the information.

Regards

Richard

White's Directory for 1911 shows Arthur Louis Turner, tailor, at 112 Devonshire Street, with his home at 7 Havelock Square. The 1931 Kelly's Directory shows the business at 129 Devonshire Street as in 1925. The 1937 Kelly's Directory doesn't show the business on Devonshire Street or Westfield Terrace, but Arthur Turner's home address was now evidently 13 Ryegate Crescent. Here are scans from the 1911 directory and the "1939 Register".

Sheffield Evening Telegraph, 23 Oct 1912.

Arthur L. Turner, the Modern Tailor, has removed from 112 Devonshire Street, to

129 Devonshire Street, opposite old address.

1939, 13 Ryegate Crescent, Sheffield.

Arthur L. Turner, D.O.B. 7 Mar 1878, Tailor (unemployed), married.

Annie Turner, D.O.B. 19 Apr 1884, housewife, married.

Cyril Turner, D.O.B. 14 Jul 1913, Shop assistant Gents outfitting, single.