Peak service has become horrible

Okay fair enough but why not have the push button system. They do the same with general passengers why not with the twirlys as well.

Do they push the same button for all consessions? Maybe they get more for the pensioners and so they have to scan those instead of pressing a generic button.

The legal limits of how many people a bus can take are not exceeded on the double-deckers but I may have seen it once perhaps just over the limit on a single bus although I did not count how many there were actually on board as it was totally packed.

It is not just how many people are on a bus, it has a major effect on how long the journey takes because it can easily take 15 minutes to get a group of people on board, on a long journey with lots of people that becomes a hour delay easily just due to slow passenger handling.

Many people pay on these buses and are paying for poor slow inadequate bad service, if you go to a restaurant or shop you can choose another one but these buses have many people imprisoned, there is no other choice.

Even cycling on the main roads is not a safe option for me anymore but god how much I wished I rather cycled there than take a bus.

That bus this weekend reminded me of going to a steamloc museum, all my respect they keep one in that condition and still use it to carry people.

But my ability to appreciate it had gone because of major inconvenience due to lack of service. If they can keep an old bus running but cannot afford to supply service I rather have them dump that one and get a normal bus.

It was not until I got home later I realised I was being all grumpy there while I had travelled on something that was supposed to be a romantic journey, it didn't work for me.

Edited by dutch

Okay fair enough but why not have the push button system. They do the same with general passengers why not with the twirlys as well.

Harder to 'forge' a pass if it works with a scanner, and in theory it should be quicker than button pushing anyway.

---------- Post added 09-05-2016 at 15:38 ----------

The legal limits of how many people a bus can take are not exceeded on the double-deckers but I may have seen it once perhaps just over the limit on a single bus although I did not count how many there were actually on board as it was totally packed.

It is not just how many people are on a bus, it has a major effect on how long the journey takes because it can easily take 15 minutes to get a group of people on board, on a long journey with lots of people that becomes a hour delay easily just due to slow passenger handling.

Many people pay on these buses and are paying for poor slow inadequate bad service, if you go to a restaurant or shop you can choose another one but these buses have many people imprisoned, there is no other choice.

Even cycling on the main roads is not a safe option for me anymore but god how much I wished I rather cycled there than take a bus.

That bus this weekend reminded me of going to a steamloc museum, all my respect they keep one in that condition and still use it to carry people.

But my ability to appreciate it had gone because of major inconvenience due to lack of service. If they can keep an old bus running but cannot afford to supply service I rather have them dump that one and get a normal bus.

It was not until I got home later I realised I was being all grumpy there while I had travelled on something that was supposed to be a romantic journey, it didn't work for me.

Your calling it slow and inadequate simply because it takes a lot of people a lot of time to get on a bus.

I don't really see how the operator can fix that. It takes as long as it takes and you are one of the people getting on and thus part of the problem.

You aren't imprisoned, they don't MAKE you use the bus, take a taxi if you want door to door service and not to be inconvenienced by other people.

You keep mentioning lack of service, what exactly is it you want? How will a newer bus improve things?

We have a car and many times drive out there, it takes 20 minutes.

I cannot drive anymore and on my own have no other option then to walk or take the bus, one to two hours. Do take some taxis but not all the time, seriously considered calling one last weekend.

I don't think a newer bus would have been faster.

It is rather a personal problem and I felt deeply insulted that instead of improving the service they invest in keeping ancient rolling stock on the road.

Now let me be more honest.

Afterwards, later on, I realised I had spoiled an opportunity to appreciate it instead of being grumpy.

We have a car and many times drive out there, it takes 20 minutes.

I cannot drive anymore and on my own have no other option then to walk or take the bus, one to two hours. Do take some taxis but not all the time, seriously considered calling one last weekend.

I don't think a newer bus would have been faster.

It is rather a personal problem and I felt deeply insulted that instead of improving the service they invest in keeping ancient rolling stock on the road.

Now let me be more honest.

Afterwards, later on, I realised I had spoiled an opportunity to appreciate it instead of being grumpy.

That is a most measured and sincere post.

I can't comment on the 272 bus, not having used it on a weekend recently.

However, one alternative out is the Hope Valley train service. It's not much of a walk from Grindleford up to Fox House, or there's a nice flat route from Hope to Castleton (depending on where your final destination is). Although the trains may be just as busy on a good weather weekend, at least they tend to be pretty reliable (and it's a good excuse to pop into the Sheffield Tap!)

Bus / train tickets can be used interchangeably on the Hope Valley train line / 272 bus - so you can buy a return train ticket to Hope, catch the train and then catch the 272 bus back from Castleton, using your train ticket. Or buy a return bus ticket to Castleton, and then catch a train back from Hope. More info here:-

https://derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/tickets_passes/bus_rail/default.asp

Hulleys also run buses out to Castleton.

Incidentally the summer timetable commences this coming Sunday, 15th May.

You said the legal limits are not exceeded on double deckers,but you also said people were standing upstairs,this is not allowed.

You said the legal limits are not exceeded on double deckers,but you also said people were standing upstairs,this is not allowed.

I am no expert on these legal limits and had a quick browse through Wikipedia without finding clear information about where these standing passengers need to stand.

The buses have been absolutely mega crampacked on nice sundays last couple of months.

One single decker came last month on a nice sunday so full I complained with the driver for not using double deckers on such days with higher demand yet the service had gotten worse.

Now last sunday it was a double but it was also crampacked, upstairs all seats taken two people standing upstairs and few on the stairs itself, downstairs was crampacked with people standing shoulder to shoulder.

It sounded, felt like a chicken hen, I call it the sunday moneygrabber bus, lots of people pay for it.

That bus raced 50 MPH on Hathersage Rd, checked it on my mobile. I feel safer on an airplane.

Edited by dutch

I was on one a while back and it was so full (and the bus was on its last legs) it almost didn't get up Hathersage hill!

Service was minimal but acceptable before the changes.

It has turned into a nightmare now. Not just one off, its like this every weekend now, the problem has become something standard.

The sickening thing is that people don't have a choice to go somewhere else to use a better operator, they don't have a choice and first can demand payments from people no matter how bad substandard the service is.

Problem for me is that I cannot drive anymore due to health issues and don't have the choice to take the car. At least I don't pay because of my condition but if I really had to I would give them a really hard time for milking money for worse than third world service in busses as packed as trains in India.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pictures+of+overcrowded+trains+in+india&tbm=isch&imgil=h4xXcCO4aPKatM%253A%253BXN_33VXrtNBLOM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fio9.gizmodo.com%25252Fincredible-ways-people-deal-with-overloaded-transit-sys-1243629980&source=iu&pf=m&fir=h4xXcCO4aPKatM%253A%252CXN_33VXrtNBLOM%252C_&usg=__SQIyOe3d6rkRWCArfeAR1iYk56Q%3D&biw=1421&bih=757&ved=0ahUKEwie2LvR7dHMAhWsLMAKHYt2BokQyjcIMA&ei=Kg8zV56bMazZgAaL7ZnICA#imgrc=h4xXcCO4aPKatM%3A

Me thinks you are exaggerating - very slighty. :)