Deer in Sheffield?

On the way to work one morning through beeley woods my husband saw what he thought were a couple of dogs at the entrance ,they turned out to be muntjac deer,he was gobsmacked to say the least.

Quite common in the beautiful districts north of Sheffield , Stocksbridge and surrounding areas.

Seen a few on my twilight bike commutes in SW Sheffield - followed a badger for a good few hundred yards up Twnetywell lane recently too

If you are quiet you will be amazed what you see . . . :)

I've seen a couple of deer in Hillsborough park and even one up langsett road near morrisons. Made a nice change from cats and foxes.

I was told that there are deers in Grenoside Woods. Didn’t really believe it, but perhaps the person who told me could be right.

Edited by hauxwell

I was told that there are deers in Grenoside Woods. Didn’t really believe it, but perhaps the person who told me could be right.

Speaking from personal experience, I can say there definitely are (were?) deer in the Greno Woods area. I've only seen the one, though, as it bolted across my path. That was a couple of years back; I do a lot of walking in that area and it's the only time I've seen one. Perhaps spotting them is time-of-day dependent, as I tend to do walks late morning?

Speaking from personal experience, I can say there definitely are (were?) deer in the Greno Woods area. I've only seen the one, though, as it bolted across my path. That was a couple of years back; I do a lot of walking in that area and it's the only time I've seen one. Perhaps spotting them is time-of-day dependent, as I tend to do walks late morning?

That is what the person said, who told me about deer in Greno Woods, that he has seen a deer and it bolted across his path. Having once lived near the woods for many years, I have never seen one, so he was right. My walks use to be in the afternoon and there was always plenty of other walkers in the woods. So it could be dependent on the time of day when these elusive animals are in the woods.

Thanks for confirming it.

There's a herd of deer in greno, wheata,wharncliffe woods.I have seen them often over the years.One morning there was a huge stag under the pylon next to jawbone hill,just over the wall 20 yards from me,no camera and pre mobile phones,would have loved to have had a photo.

We drove past half a dozen red deer browsing in a hedgerow within 10 yards of the A625 just after Ecclesall Woods on Wednesday evening too. They weren't even bothering to react to traffic, so there must have been something really tasty in that hedge.

I have also seen a stag in greno woods, huge thing had my dog running free and was desparately calling her back.

When I got her and looked back it had gone.

seen them in parson cross park in the early hours and tongue gutter when walking the dogs.

also quite a few in rivelin valley as well.

Aye, coming back home from a day out in Derbyshire, we came up Froggatt Edge, turned left at the top then right onto Stony Ridge Road. After about 3 or 4 hundred yards looking left there were 3 Red Stags all heavy in velvet 20 or 30 yds away. We stopped and took photo's, the Deer just carried on eating. I assume they are semi tame been on the Longshaw Estate. Certainly the Red Deer I have encountered in Scotland would be half a mile away before the car had stopped. And if seen on the hill with an unfavourable wind, they would soon be a mile away.

Angel1.