Deer in Sheffield?

19 hours ago, Ms Interpret said:

I have noticed in the last couple of weeks   herds of deer alongside the A621 from Owler bar to Baslow on the Barbrook area   A magnificant sight which I dont recall seeing before. 

Are they wild or are they from the chatsworth estate anyone know?

There are a lot on the moors between owler bar and hathersage road. They’ve got a few very secluded spots where they spend a lot of time but occasionally seem to migrate between them. When they’re on the move it’s an impressive sight.

On 15/04/2019 at 22:20, Ms Interpret said:

I have noticed in the last couple of weeks   herds of deer alongside the A621 from Owler bar to Baslow on the Barbrook area   A magnificant sight which I dont recall seeing before. 

Are they wild or are they from the chatsworth estate anyone know?

They are wild.  There are herds of them on Blackamoor Plantation too - probably the same ones.  Blackamoor Plantation, in case you don't know, is to your left as you travel up Hathersage Road towards Fox House.

Hi we were driving home along Sheffield parkway around 18:30 just before the slip road for handworth.

Me and my daughter both seen what looked like a roe deer.

I didn’t say anything, I thought I was seeing things, then my daughter said can we go and have a look at what she said was definitely a roe deer I’ve had a read on internet and I can’t find anything.

Has anyone else seen them?

On 06/06/2015 at 11:15, Blackbeard said:

It is becoming a problem in many towns and cities.

"The "kings of the forest" have been spotted on roundabouts, in cemeteries and on golf courses as the population explodes across the UK.

The animals not only damage trees and spread disease but are responsible for causing more than 74,000 road accidents every year, including up to 20 fatalities.

The problem is so bad that a major conference is being held this weekend in Warwickshire, Deer Management 2010, to work out the best way to deal with "urban deer"."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/7429164/Urban-deer-a-growing-problem-for-UK.html

Someone ought to host a conference on what to do about urban humans that cause a hell of a lot more road accidents and fatalities.

Yesterday on one of the Sheffield Facebook groups that I subscribe to, someone posted a very short video taken from a moving car of what they said was a young deer, at the side of Endcliffe Park. It was running along the pavement on what looked like Rustlings Rd.

Unfortunately I was in a bit of a rush to do something else at the time, but I forgot to mark the post, so when I went back a couple of hours later to look at it properly, I couldn’t find it. 

Has anyone else seen it?

Edited by Eater Sundae
Typo

Saw a Roe Deer in Graves Park yesterday afternoon, bounding across the fields in front of the cricket pavilion by Cobnar.  

They can properly shift. It was easily doing 30mph

Edited by I1L2T3

Image result for muntjac deer

These little fellas are abundant where I stay during the week,  (in the Chiltern Hills).  I've never seen any in this area though.  They are called "Muntjac" deer.  They are tiny and very cute looking little things.   The evensong down there is a mix of these little creatures "barking" and the distinctive whistle of the red Kite's overhead.  It's quite something!  

Have a look/listen to the short video below to see what I mean.

I've seen Muntjac deer near the canal basins and I'm told they're present in Beeley wood.

40 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Saw a small herd of deer on clay wheel Lane at hillsbro one night on way home from work... 

Hmmm... :huh:

... you saw a small herd of deer on their way home from work?

I suppose they were after a fast buck... :confused:

I'm surprised we don't have a wildlife section, it would be good to know what others were seeing in and around Sheffield.