Deer in Sheffield?

[/color]

Roe deer are more common in Sheffield than you think. If you're out and about late evening or early morning on the edges of woodland you may spot one.

This was on the path behind Park Academy right next to the Parkway though! I see tons of them when cycling out towards the Peaks and that end of Sheffield, but I’ve been cycling to work from Shirebrook Valley to the City Centre early in the morning for a few years and never seen one anywhere on the route before.

Edited by Rob_1

I had one run out in front of me at Ewden this morning on my way to work.

I saw a deer down at the canal basin once. Couldn't believe my eyes.

I saw a deer down at the canal basin once. Couldn't believe my eyes.

There"s a road runs through parson cross called Deerlands Avenue, wonder if that is named after deer that used to roam there.

:hihi:

There is a roe deer that lives on the railway embankment at the side of Twentywell Lane. It is a beautiful animal

only one? Must get lonely?

---------- Post added 19-06-2018 at 05:02 ----------

Seen a few on my twilight bike commutes in SW Sheffield - followed a badger for a good few hundred yards up Twnetywell lane recently too

If you are quiet you will be amazed what you see . . . :)

I don't think I could cycle up Twentywell Lane quietly. I'd be panting loudly and would scare everything off.

---------- Post added 19-06-2018 at 05:06 ----------

Aye, coming back home from a day out in Derbyshire, we came up Froggatt Edge, turned left at the top then right onto Stony Ridge Road. After about 3 or 4 hundred yards looking left there were 3 Red Stags all heavy in velvet 20 or 30 yds away. We stopped and took photo's, the Deer just carried on eating. I assume they are semi tame been on the Longshaw Estate. Certainly the Red Deer I have encountered in Scotland would be half a mile away before the car had stopped. And if seen on the hill with an unfavourable wind, they would soon be a mile away.

Angel1.

I think what you are describing here is probably the annual outing of the Ringinglow and District Masonic Society. They picnic up that way in full regalia.

Had a male roe deer in my paddock at 5.45am this morning. I live in Loxley, so not exactly back of beyond. It was a wonderful sight, and a real treat to see.

I have noticed in the last couple of weeks   herds of deer alongside the A621 from Owler bar to Baslow on the Barbrook area   A magnificant sight which I dont recall seeing before. 

Are they wild or are they from the chatsworth estate anyone know?

5 hours ago, Ms Interpret said:

I have noticed in the last couple of weeks   herds of deer alongside the A621 from Owler bar to Baslow on the Barbrook area   A magnificant sight which I dont recall seeing before. 

Are they wild or are they from the chatsworth estate anyone know?

I drive in this area to get to and from work, I see a lot more of them recently (Could be I now know what to look for) and they seem pretty laid back for deer. I don't think they are from the Chatsworth estate though, fairly sure they are all penned in by cattle grids and fencing.

there is a small herd about five or six in the top woods at oughtibridge see them most mornings when out with the dogs

I saw a group of deer in Beeley wood recently whilst on an early morning walk with my dog. It's not the first time i've seen them but it's not a regular occurrence.

7 hours ago, mounts said:

there is a small herd about five or six in the top woods at oughtibridge see them most mornings when out with the dogs

There were a few Red in the Wharncliffe woods at one time, but have not seen them for a while. As for Roe there are plenty around North Sheffield, but as they like to be on their own (unless with their young or getting the attention of a Buck when breeding) and not in a herd, you have to look carefully to see them. The white patch on their rump, (caudal patch) is a giveaway if they are facing away from you.

Roe liver thin sliced and flash fried is delicious.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1