Noise law, acceptable times to commence diy work in residential street

Morning.

Does anyone know what is reasonable and proportionate for building work and diy work on a residential street?

The house next door is being renovated (since october) and we are getting increasingly annoyed anout weekend noise at 7am onwards.

This morning bradwells delivered a skip at 7.15 am waking us all up and they've been filling it since 7.30 and are now working on the house. Its a terrace so as any one will know who lives in one every sound carries and they might as well be in our bedroom.

Last weekend it was 8.20. We've put up with it so far but this morning I'm annoyed.

My understanding is no diy or unnessessary noise before 9am on a weekend or 8am on a weeekday.

Any advice or knowledge welcome. Thanks

Edited by mel77

I'm unsure if there are specific rules, but the rules we go by are 8am Monday-Friday, 9am on a Saturday and 10am on a Sunday purely out of courtesy for our neighbours.

Our neighbour has been extending since January and their builders have been here at 7am at weekends, and on top of the building noise they also seem to feel the need to talk very loudly at all times too so I have every sympathy with you.

Morning.

Does anyone know what is reasonable and proportionate for building work and diy work on a residential street?

The house next door is being renovated (since october) and we are getting increasingly annoyed anout weekend noise at 7am onwards.

This morning bradwells delivered a skip at 7.15 am waking us all up and they've been filling it since 7.30 and are now working on the house. Its a terrace so as any one will know who lives in one every sound carries and they might as well be in our bedroom.

Last weekend it was 8.20. We've put up with it so far but this morning I'm annoyed.

My understanding is no diy or unnessessary noise before 9am on a weekend or 8am on a weeekday.

If they are starting work at 7.00 am, then they are obviously keen on getting the work done as quick as possible. Stop complaining and look forward to the completion of the work.

I've got a feeling it's between 11pm and 7am that you're not supposed to cause excessive noise.

Edit - there are no laws, but rhe authorities are obliged to investigate if you make a complaint of noise between the above hours.

Have a word with your neighbours, ask them politely if they could start work slightly later on a weekend if it bothers you too much. As Gamston said, it won't be forever, you may just have to grin and bear it for a bit longer.

Do you know and get on with your neighbours?

Edited by Isabelle

We had 7.20 a.m. this morning with drilling and hammering in a flat. Thank goodness I wasn't on the sauce last night. All good though, we have the top flat, several subwoofers and a club foot.

Morning.

If they are a business rather than domestic, then either go and speak to them or complain to the Council.

Are the expected hours

Monday to Friday 7:30am to 6pm

Saturday 8am to 1pm

Sundays or Public Holidays - no working.

[email protected]

Telephone us on 0114 2037410

If they are domestic, then you are best of having a word with them and trying to get them to agree some rules. This is especially relevant if they will be your neighbours. This is your best chance of getting a change.

If they arent interested, then you can ring above again, but they will expect you to keep a diary etc, until or unless they reluctantly have to start a statutory nuiscance claim. You need evidence and it cna take time. The best method is sorting it with them.

Agree soemthing like after 9/ 930am and to stop by 6pm imo. If you know your neighbours get them to complain as well.

If they are a business rather than domestic, then either go and speak to them or complain to the Council.

Are the expected hours

Monday to Friday 7:30am to 6pm

Saturday 8am to 1pm

Sundays or Public Holidays - no working.

[email protected]

Telephone us on 0114 2037410

If they are domestic, then you are best of having a word with them and trying to get them to agree some rules. This is especially relevant if they will be your neighbours. This is your best chance of getting a change.

If they arent interested, then you can ring above again, but they will expect you to keep a diary etc, until or unless they reluctantly have to start a statutory nuiscance claim. You need evidence and it cna take time. The best method is sorting it with them.

Agree soemthing like after 9/ 930am and to stop by 6pm imo. If you know your neighbours get them to complain as well.

Starting work at 7.30 am is not unreasonable. The OP should be happy he/she are taking so much pride in their property. Hardly a good start to good neighbourly relations if you get petty while they are renovating their new home.

Work times might have been set as part of the planning process so it's worth looking into it.

My friends extension was set 9am-6pm and half day on a Sat.

I've got a feeling it's between 11pm and 7am that you're not supposed to cause excessive noise.

Edit - there are no laws, but rhe authorities are obliged to investigate if you make a complaint of noise between the above hours.

Have a word with your neighbours, ask them politely if they could start work slightly later on a weekend if it bothers you too much. As Gamston said, it won't be forever, you may just have to grin and bear it for a bit longer.

Do you know and get on with your neighbours?

You obviously was not around Sheffield when all the giant steel hammers ,rollers and stampers were going full tilt 24-7 .

You had to be one of the bosses and move up Dore and Totley to get away from the sounds that made you rich.:hihi:

I'd love the luxury of being in bed at 0730 - usually been at work for a couple of hours by then!