Speeding camera (M1 Northbound before J29)

Just to inform people, there is a stationary and very much active camera on the Northbound M1 between Tibshelf Services and J29 (Chesterfield), it is positioned just off the side of a new matrix-sign frame (red/brown) that crosses the entire M1 and the camera is very active, I never drive the opposite direction without it flashing and I drive that stretch of road frequently.

Just to inform people, there is a stationary and very much active camera on the Northbound M1 between Tibshelf Services and J29 (Chesterfield), it is positioned just off the side of a new matrix-sign frame (red/brown) that crosses the entire M1 and the camera is very active, I never drive the opposite direction without it flashing and I drive that stretch of road frequently.

Yep, its a variable speed camera. Loads of them along the smart motorway and they're only active when the sign above them is illuminated. My wife pointed out that some people had been had been "claiming" that they're on all the time but that's utter poppycock.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/highways-chiefs-reveal-m62-cameras-6152759

Don't be so sure.

I travel the M62 regularly and see frequent flashes at traffic in the opposite lane when there are no speed restrictions in force.

No restrictions? Last time I checked the restriction was a max speed of 70mph.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/highways-chiefs-reveal-m62-cameras-6152759

Don't be so sure.

I travel the M62 regularly and see frequent flashes at traffic in the opposite lane when there are no speed restrictions in force.

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Am I mistaken in thinking that 'speed cameras' should not be hidden but painted bright yellow so they stand out. It this is the case then what about the cameras on the M1?

Not so sure about elsewhere but between J28 and J25 the cameras are not on every gantry,

No restrictions? Last time I checked the restriction was a max speed of 70mph.

Edited by Odd-jobs

It doesn't matter what colour they are if you're not breaking the law.

Nope..... There was no restrictions this morning and tonight and it was flashing away ...lucky i didn't forget about it on the way home !

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Am I mistaken in thinking that 'speed cameras' should not be hidden but painted bright yellow so they stand out. It this is the case then what about the cameras on the M1?

Not so sure about elsewhere but between J28 and J25 the cameras are not on every gantry,

I've also seen them flashing away when driving in the opposite direction. They look pretty concealed to me. Having said that, do we actually know if they are out to catch speeding drivers or merely monitoring traffic flow? I thought that flashing cameras were a thing of the past anyway and that the technology had moved on. There are actually two cameras side by side.

I've also seen them flashing away when driving in the opposite direction. They look pretty concealed to me. Having said that, do we actually know if they are out to catch speeding drivers or merely monitoring traffic flow? I thought that flashing cameras were a thing of the past anyway and that the technology had moved on. There are actually two cameras side by side.

They are stelth cameras

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stealth+speed+cameras&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=915&tbm=isch&imgil=MsYK2_Lzffi2FM%253A%253BKv2eT_gNcrk_BM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.planyourcar.com%25252Fblog%25252Fbeware-new-stealth-speed-cameras-motorways%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=MsYK2_Lzffi2FM%253A%252CKv2eT_gNcrk_BM%252C_&usg=__CXUfeYOtkl4pj9-1Zi5XfdyXgTs%3D&ved=0ahUKEwi-kfLJqsHMAhUICsAKHfrpDGkQyjcILQ&ei=XWUqV_7uOIiUgAb607PIBg#imgrc=MsYK2_Lzffi2FM%3A

Warning!!!

The main Barclays Bank also has cctv cameras, please be careful if you are considering a robbery. Heads up!

Yep, its a variable speed camera. Loads of them along the smart motorway and they're only active when the sign above them is illuminated. My wife pointed out that some people had been had been "claiming" that they're on all the time but that's utter poppycock.

No, they are the yellow ones. These are actually concealed (more or less) and are only active on one spot.

---------- Post added 04-05-2016 at 22:41 ----------

Correct, those are the ones. Very common in the Netherlands, not so common here which is why I thought I'd make people aware.

I haven't been caught out as I usually don't speed, but I am sure that in the future, had I not known about them, they would have resulted in a fine and points.

Regarding all the 'if you don't speed you don't get caught' posts - I hope you stay in the inner three lanes, thanks.