Birds sheffield 8..

Where have all the birds gone. We used to get loads of birds in garden thrushes, blackbirds, blue tits, sparrows ect but the bird feeders remain untouched. iv stopped putting food on the bird table because it just goes mouldy

Do you have a cat by any chance?

Where have all the birds gone. We used to get loads of birds in garden thrushes, blackbirds, blue tits, sparrows ect but the bird feeders remain untouched. iv stopped putting food on the bird table because it just goes mouldy

Amey been nearby recently?

I live in Sheffield 8 and 3 years ago I was saying the same thing. Didn't even see a sparrow for probably 4 years and I live adjacent to woodland. The only birds I saw were a flock of what I think were lapwings. They swooped on a rowan tree in my garden and completely stripped it of berries in about 30 seconds.

3 years ago, the birds returned to my garden and last year bluetits nested in a nesting box. They can't make their minds up this year, pecked the opening a bit bigger, in and out then missing for days.

This year I've seen sparrows, starlings, bluetits, magpies, and wood pigeons.

Can't think of any good reason birds stayed away so long.

I live in Sheffield 8 and 3 years ago I was saying the same thing. Didn't even see a sparrow for probably 4 years and I live adjacent to woodland. The only birds I saw were a flock of what I think were lapwings. They swooped on a rowan tree in my garden and completely stripped it of berries in about 30 seconds.

3 years ago, the birds returned to my garden and last year bluetits nested in a nesting box. They can't make their minds up this year, pecked the opening a bit bigger, in and out then missing for days.

This year I've seen sparrows, starlings, bluetits, magpies, and wood pigeons.

Can't think of any good reason birds stayed away so long.

They would be waxwings. Happened in Crookes on my neighbour's berry tree. Infrequent visitors to these parts.

Think they were, yellowish crest. It was the most bizarre, for want of a better word, I ever saw. Heard them, looked through the window and within seconds the tree was bare. It was one of those "did I imagine it?" moments.

Spot on. Exactly the same. Sudden, noisy flock then bare tree and off.

Hedges and lawns being ripped up in favour of fences and fake grass haven't helped.

We've still got a proper lawn and hedges and we always have blackbirds in the garden..... and so many birds in our big cherry tree I can't put my washing out!

Maybe they have moved a bit south. We have seen more birds in our area S20.

Where have the huge flocks of Crows gone ?

Quite a sight once flying SE in the morning over Sheffield 8 from Ecclesall Woods to their feeding grounds, then returning in the evening.

Quite a sight once flying SE in the morning over Sheffield 8 from Ecclesall Woods to their feeding grounds, then returning in the evening.

They're all in S2, with the pigeons.

At least a hundred shot at Grenoside yesterday .

The swifts and swallows have arrived today in the same region .