Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

Smiths Field at Pitsmoor was my fave place.

ptrA - seems you have a lot in common with my hubby - he lived on East Road - sledged Norfolk Park and Heeley Bank Road etc. Loves Sheffield United - I remember visiting him in our courting days and jumping off the bus at the top of East Road when it slowed to turn right. Of course 'elf and safety' wouldn't allow that now.

Down Earldom St/Rd from the old Burngreave School, down to Grimesthorpe rd. Bit of a pull back up. GREAT.

We lived on Abbeydale Road, just below the cinema, and used to sledge down Sellars Street, but if we wanted a really good slope we would walk over to Meersbrook Park which was always packed. My dad made our sledge and we could get me and my two sisters on it when we were small. One year my mum took my younger sister down the slope in Meersbrook park and crashed into the tennis courts. She turned the sledge to save my sister and hit the corner of the courts. We had to take her to hospital and she had two broken ribs! Needless to say, my mum did not sledge again.

i live at woodseats and as a child we used to go in the bottom half of graves park on the banks.

there where 3 slopes and they got steeper the further you went into the park ending up with the death slope!

Again here you ended up in the stream at times getting wet.

I used to sledge down Birkendale View at Upperthorpe, but that was only till I was five years old. It was quiet then. We left that area when I was five. Nowadays I'd have sledged straight under a car at the bottom.

Fitzallan St. awesome, Neville St. and Verdon St. in the late 50's and early 60's. also sometimes Nottingham St. and Spital St. I recall with great joy the times we had with all my mates. There was a girl who used to come along with us at times, a big girl she was so we nicknamed her "40 bust". never knew her real name, but she used to love jumping on the sledge with us and riding down the hill. And whenever she jumped on, we all jumped on, she loved it as much as us. I would love to see her again, must be over 40 years since. Great day's never to be seen again.

hi pitsmoorboy i feel like i shoud know you because some of your posts hit right home when it comes to rembering pitsmoor in the 50 & 60 i lived on marcus st opposite smiths paper shop [ viv dewsnap ] happy days do you rember trying to get to the iron railway at the bottom of fitzallan st and missing the steel posts. i also in better weather playing kick-can at the gas lamp on the corner opposite fitzallan tavenern .:thumbsup::hihi:

Deep lane in shiregreen, spent many a snow covered winter sledging down there.....Happy memories....

We too used to sledge down Deep Lane and try and cross Ecclesfield Road (hoping there was no traffic coming) the sparks used to fly up as we hit the road surface. We must have been bloody daft :loopy:

My old mate, Jim, once told us he had gone under an articulated lorry - but he always was a bit of a story-teller.

me and a few others used to go from top of cowper crescent to junction of wilcox road in the late sixties, early seventys not much problem with cars as they couldnt make it up them

grass sledgeing on the end of the wybourn.great fun .

starting from top of the field going down to the sky edge bottom then had a fight with kids that lived down there the brumiites . then we go and fetch the dog and whatch them run

great days the dog never got them we would call him back but it was fun to to see them scream l.o.l kids will be kids

Hi Oldrowley,

Wilsons fields with that wicked bump half way down.Highcliffe road at night.

We made it so slippery no cars could get up. Im talking 1946 to49 ish.I lived

at the top of the field,number 449 greystones rd. Wonder if we knew one another? Chris H.

Hi Peter my early recollections is down Broomspring lane in the early 30 ties from Glossop rd to Broomhall st and as you say no worry about traffic inthose days Happy days Arthur.

Hi Uncy How are you long time no hear.havent been on the forum for a long time.we are all well hope you are the same.its after midnight here so will write later:thumbsup: