Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

Concord Park golf course, 10th fairway on a tea tray. But that was in the late 70s when we got proper snow that caused big drifts on Concord Park that lasted for weeks.

We lived in Burncross in late sixties and used to go down the short but steep bank in the field off Windmill Lane opposite the path from Ash View. In the summer it was called the rolypoly field. Went to find it last week, the fields still there but the stile's gone, the hedge is thick and you can't get in anymore.

Used to be a spring in the bottom which if you got it wrong ensured a soaking.

Longley park at the Elm Lane entrance, a nice long slope and we used to have a wood with metal framed sledge, me and my older brother went about three times furher than the others

I grew up with 2 brothers and 4 male cousins, all older than me. I remember nagging the life out of them to let me go sledging with them. I went down Conisbrough/Denaby crags, over what was known as "The Yorkshire Bumps" on a piece of oilcloth. I came came down hard on my backside and spent two weeks in bed unable to move.

I also remember my brother taking the metal springs off my dolls pram, uncoiling them and nailing them to the runners of his wooden sledge.

Gresley road on Lowedges was fantastic for sledging. It is at least 3 to 4 hundred yards from top to bottom from the terminous end. Shame these days for young kids they can't have as much fun as we had. Snow doesn't stay long enough.

I lived on Firth Park Crescent.......used to start at the top of Bevercotes Road at Windmill Lane and go all the way down towards Bellhouse Road.

Also tried the steep hill down towards the stream in Firth Park a few times ..

.............but that was a little dangerous.

A long time ago.

that part of bevercotes you sledged was on our front door do remember any body

sledging on air raid shelter tins that would be me and my mates

I was the youngest of all my cousins therefore I was generally used as the test-pilot for their sledge runs when Stannington was under what seemed like feet of snow! Thankfully I lived to tell the tale and must admit to enjoying every minute. I thought that was the ultimate until, at the age of around 18 (yes, I know, old enough to know better!) I discovered the delights of poly-bagging!!! For anyone who recalls, there was a steep grass bank in front of Hyde Park Flats which led to the stone wall around the old dog track - talk about adrenalin!!!! The number of times we overshot the grass.... and the pavement.... and made it at least half way over St. Johns Road!!!!

Anyone used to sledge down the bottom park in Worrall? That was great, really steep with a stone wall at the bottom!

Seen a couple of nasty accidents, particularly one involving an 'Eskimo' type sledge which was huge and took about five adults, including the pusher who stood at the back. It got quite a head of steam up when it was icey

This is what snow in Sheffield used to look like. My Mam, 1933 Shiregreen.http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r110/DORisG2/img146.jpg

We used to sledge on the rec at the top of Danville Rd. One year we used the curved section of an Anderson air raid shelter. It was great but you had to roll off before it hit the toilet wall at the bottom of the slope and turned over.

My dad made us a sledge at work and it was heavy but flew!

We used to sledge down on Cowey at Fox lane and at Shepherds hill on Hollinsend road.

When we didn`t take the sledge we used bin bags or beer trays when we were older and shinney snorkel parkas were all the rage we used to zip em up and lie down and just zoom off head first :hihi:

We used to go on the old Frecheville school field and sledge down the hills with the big trees on and try not to get our feet caught on the brambles near the big trees at the bottom, if you did you used to spin round and you had to be quick not to smash your face in cos the tree would seem to come outta nowhere.

The bit i`ll always remember is sledging down the top bit of the school field when all the small trees had been planted with supports i woke up in someones house with my head covered in butter cos the sledge had hit one of the trees and i got knocked out.:D

Yes the Cowey at Frechville was a great place, I always went sledging there too:D

me too :D Had some great times as a kid. I remember some lads turning up with a large sheet of tarpaulin and there was about 20 of them on it, all stood up (I tried to get on but fell at the first hurdle).

Stuck with my biscuit tin lid after that.;)