Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

South Street hill! Although it was dangerous in places after the build the tram tracks.

The best way to sledge was with a huge tarpaulin. Everyone jumps on at the top and its a struggle to still be on before you hit the bottom.

Making humps halfway down was always fun too!

For us the serious sledging was in High Hazels Park, always before we got there (from Carbrook) the locals would have designed moguls and everything, it just lacked a tow :-)

Fox Lane field at Basegreen was always good as long as you avoided the hawthorn hedge at the bottom!. Started from the top of the hill at Thornbridge then down towards the end of Basegreen Drive. In the 60s the remains of the slag heaps were still there from the mining days so it was sledging in winter and cycling down the slag heaps in summer!. It was also the site of a good fun fair once or twice a year.

Edited by mike-s
typing error

I lived at Swallownest untill age 23, (1940 to 1963) and as kids we went sledging down a number of local hills, surrounded by fields, so no worries about traffic. But at the bottom of almost every run, be it Swallownest, Aughton or even Ulley there was a stream which required a sharp turn at the bottom when the speed of the sledge was probably at its highest. Now, my daughters and their boyfriends, plus my wife, go hell for leather down long slopes and paths in nearby Dalby Forrest (not far from Scarborough). But last few years they girls and their boyfriends have been staying with my wife and I in Malaysia - near to Kuala Lumpur. No snow, no ice, no frost or cold weather - hell of a saving on anti-freeze and de-icer, not bought those for many years now.

Best Wishes to Sheffield from Subang Jaya, Malaysia 9-26pm and very, very hot as usual, around mid 90's - Grey Eminence

My sister and me used to sledge in High Hazels Park in the fifties. We were tormented by gangs of lads who used to push us off our sledge. (Married one of them later). I think we called the bump at the bottom "the camel". When we were younger in the late 40's, we sledged down Monkton Road - very steep and exciting. Wonderful days - snowy winters and scorching summers or is it just me who is getting old. Used to make "perfume" with rose petals in tin cans, burdock leaf wine and go "camping" in the back garden. What adventure!

Couldn't be arsed to read all 13 pages of this thread so I'll just tell you mine. We used to live on Aldred road in Crookes, we used to go down there, across Heavygate road into Matlock road, passed the Heavygate pub and then down either Cromwell St or Duncombe St, can't quite remember which one, then across South road and down the other side and ended up crossing Infirmary road and ending up on Penistone road! Great 5 minute sledge down then a horrible half hour walk back up! Good Times!

We used to break through the fence onto Dore & Totley Golf course. Then we'd get chased off and run like the clappers. The kids uses to collect golf balls they'd lost and sell them back to the golfers. Happy days !!

scraithwood woods near shirecliffe wat laughs

When you were younger, where was your favourite spot for sledging? Along with a host of other youngsters I favoured Wayland Road, Sharrow Vale, which was quite steep and we had difficulty in either stopping at the bottom or doing a quick turn into a road which I can’t remember the name of. The whole road turned to ice very quickly, but luckily, in those days, nobody had cars so there were no complaints.

My second favourite was Dover Road — until a lad overshot it and finished up being hit be a tram on Ecclesall Road. Luckily, he was not seriously injured.

I remember 1947, 16 weeks of Ice and snow, sledging down Fitzalan St Pitsmoor, solid ice, I was 10 at the time had a sister and brother,all three of us on the same sledge,the thing that stopped us was the metal railway bridge at the bottom of Fitzalan St,and I might add wearing short trousers,I think kids were a lot tougher in them days

Hi Are you ex BurngreaveSchool 47 to 51 by any chance sounds as if you could be let me know

Hi Are you ex BurngreaveSchool 47 to 51 by any chance sounds as if you could be let me know

Sorry - not Burngreave School - Sheffield - Bracken Road.

I lived in Pomona Street and went sledging on Montague Street, seemed very steep back then.