Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

It's really amazing nobody has mentioned Schoolboard Hill, from Pyebank School down to Rock St. It was a good run that one. Another was Fowler St, not steep, but a long way down if the conditions were right. The best in the area was Hayward Rd, from Pitsmoor Rd to Fowler St, the road was unadopted and sloped off at the bottom to the left. Iron railings to the left added a bit of danger to it.

The most dangerous was the jennel from Pyebank School to Pitsmoor Road. Always it got icy at the bottom, it was steep, about 8ft across, high walls on both sides. The only way to abort the run was at the entrance to Flecher's scrapyard, but at that point you were moving pretty fast anyhow so it didn't make a lot of difference, you hit Pitsmoor Road about a 100mph. I realise that's an exaggeration but thats how it felt to me once when I hit the big stone gatepost at the bottom, my sledge crossing the road by itself. I honestly thought I'd done serious damage to my spine.

I lived on Firth Park Crescent.......used to start at the top of Bevercotes Road at Windmill Lane and go all the way down towards Bellhouse Road.

Also tried the steep hill down towards the stream in Firth Park a few times ..

.............but that was a little dangerous.

A long time ago.

Firth park, yeah that was briiliant. Also Osgathorpe park where the golf couse is. Start at the top then go down on to the ashpalt pitch at the bottom-happy days

:DStannington Hill was the best, it ruddy well snowed up there for about 10 months of the ruddy year!:hihi:

one of my best hills is the cowy on birley next to fox lane

which i made ramps on to go over and somtimes you fell of!

Wood Hill, Woodhouse was a good place to sledge down

i remember stocksbridge was some great places we use to do it on victoria road or street cant remeber but it wqs a steep hill rite down in to where the mian road and shops were were the old co op place use to be and also a place we called the dip it was near the stocksbridge sports center that was fun exept having to come back up as lol

Bingham Park (above endcliffe park)

I once had to swerve to avoid a kid who jumped out in front of me, and went straight into the bushes and cut up my face. It didn't hurt much, but when I finally managed to stand up, I looked like an extra from a cheap zombie film.

Did you do the full run from the top of the park between the two big trees between the substation on the right and the trees on the left and then finish up in the hedge down by the toilets, if you were lucky.

Come on all you pitsmoor old Pitsmoor dwellers.What was that Road off Peter Street at the side of the chapel not Sutherland Road the one at the side of Davis`s shop ? we used to go down there at such great speeds we were lucky if we didnt end up in the steel works at the bottom,Great ride but what a walk up to start all over again:hihi:

oop sorry about the mistake just got excited as i have forgotten what snow looks like:loopy:

Here i go again .come on REX Or uncle Arthur help me

We used to sledge down Andover St , Some times when the snow had turned to ice sliding stood up , All trying to go the farthist the old leather shoes were the best dangerous game tho used to have to fall over to stop

Come on all you pitsmoor old Pitsmoor dwellers.What was that Road off Peter Street at the side of the chapel not Sutherland Road the one at the side of Davis`s shop ? we used to go down there at such great speeds we were lucky if we didnt end up in the steel works at the bottom,Great ride but what a walk up to start all over again:hihi:

Would it have been Harletson street ?