Sheffield Christmas Market in Fargate

Hello All!

I need your quick advise on the above.

I'm looking for somebody who could advise me about the Christmas market in Sheffield. Have you visited maybe the one in Fargate in Sheffield last year? I have read one thread from 2014 and the comment were pretty negative, but thought to check how was in 2015.

Is it popular destination for christmas shoppers or they rather hang around places like Meadowhall? If you've been at the market - have you found what traders had on offer interesting? Would you go there next year? Would you say it's more attractive than market in Leeds or York? Any comment will be much appreciated as I'm considering trading next December in there (have also offer to trade in York). Many thanks in advance. I have just few days to make my mind up so please help!

I find the market so boring these days it's always got the same things and in the same place as always, nothing new. We went for the Christmas lights switch on last year and didn't stay for the lights to be turned on. I find the whole city quite depressing and wouldn't recommend it to people of visit. We have lots of friends and family stay and would always take them to leeds or Manchester instead. The Kelham island market last year was much better and we'll worth visiting even with having to pay an entrance fee.

It is absolute rubbish. The Kelham Island one is better

Agree with above pure rubbish :( York, Leeds or Manchester :)

Agree with above. I like the atmosphere but I have never bought anything from any of the stalls. Love the Sleigh Bar though.

Depends on what you are selling.

There is high footfall that is not to be ignored.

it was a novelty at first but not even bothered attending the last couple of years.

Depends on what you are selling.

There is high footfall that is not to be ignored.

Handmade pottery and Christmas wreaths.

Many thanks everyone for your honest comments.

It looks that my choice will turn to York :)

Edited by DjNewton

It is a shame that the first folk to reply to this post were not a little more positive. Sheffield could probably do with a new stall to help make sure it's not the 'same old same old' every year.

The competition is possibly less than in York. Plus I am sure parking and accommodation would have been much cheaper in Sheffield.

We have to help ourselves when acting as ambassadors to this great city, it can't all be blamed on what SCC come up with!

It is a shame that the first folk to reply to this post were not a little more positive. Sheffield could probably do with a new stall to help make sure it's not the 'same old same old' every year.

The competition is possibly less than in York. Plus I am sure parking and accommodation would have been much cheaper in Sheffield.

We have to help ourselves when acting as ambassadors to this great city, it can't all be blamed on what SCC come up with!

Only giving an honest opinion. I've spent many a year supporting several events in the city but find it tired and boring now. Go to several different locations visiting Christmas markets and find ours an embarrassment.

Certainly something that needs building up in every sense of the word. It's too small and the same every year. It needs an injection of imagination and pazazz of itos to equal other cities.

If you're after a bonsai tree or soap or fudge that tastes like soap, it's worth a look, but its not what I would consider 'Christmasy'.