When was the Hallamshire hospital built?

Isn't the RHH coming to the end of its days and a new one about to be commisioned on the Lightwood site on the ring road at Gleadless?

First I've heard, please tell us more.

I had a neighbour who was one of the original Hallamshire administrators. He told me delays were due to the original lifts that were supplied being too big for the lift shafts!!

First I've heard, please tell us more.

Due to all the investments and future investments in the RHH it seems that it's the first time that the Trust has heard as well.

I had a neighbour who was one of the original Hallamshire administrators. He told me delays were due to the original lifts that were supplied being too big for the lift shafts!!

And too small to take a hospital bed - at least not with anyone standing next to it! One of the many problems with the planning of the place I believe.

---------- Post added 07-05-2016 at 11:06 ----------

I think that it's just tribalism, the people at the RHH will claim that it's more friendlier than the NGH.

I think you missed my point which was that because the RHH is built around the lifts and the NGH has miles of corridors it is more likely that you see and greet colleagues at the NGH than the RHH . There is more opportunity for interaction .

---------- Post added 07-05-2016 at 11:08 ----------

Isn't the RHH coming to the end of its days and a new one about to be commisioned on the Lightwood site on the ring road at Gleadless?

That old chestnut !

It's true to say that the RHH building is well past it's sell by date but I don't think there is a plan to relocate the entire building up to Lightwood or anywhere else any time soon although more of the specialities there are likely to be relocated to NGH in the future.

Edited by Daven

I think you missed my point which was that because the RHH is built around the lifts and the NGH has miles of corridors it is more likely that you see and greet colleagues at the NGH than the RHH . There is more opportunity for interaction

I didn't you know. If what you claimed was true why do many staff at the RHH claim that the RHH is nicer place to work? Personally, I think it's tribal as I said earlier. You get good and bad departments at both the hospitals.

That old chestnut !

It's true to say that the RHH building is well past it's sell by date but I don't think there is a plan to relocate the entire building up to Lightwood or anywhere else any time soon although more of the specialities there are likely to be relocated to NGH in the future.

Why? They've just built a big critical care department, two new theatres with plans for more. STH's investment in the RHH does suggest that they see it a vital part of their foundation trust.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

interesting because the take on this I Remember (again from a reliable source) was that the lifts werent big enough to take the gurneys(stretchers).always thought this was prettiest fundamental in a hospital.

I didn't you know. If what you claimed was true why do many staff at the RHH claim that the RHH is nicer place to work? Personally, I think it's tribal as I said earlier. You get good and bad departments at both the hospitals.

Why? They've just built a big critical care department, two new theatres with plans for more. STH's investment in the RHH does suggest that they see it a vital part of their foundation trust.

The NGH is now a major trauma centre and has to have neuro surgery and head and neck surgery services onsite - patients can't be ferried several miles across the city. Logic suggests that these services will be relocated to NGH when they are able. Lots of work has had to be done at RHH to bring it up to date with what is required for a 21st century facility.

I didn't say that STH Trust didn't see RHH as a vital part of the work they do but all acute services will have to be moved to NGH to fulfill it's Major Trauma Centre criteria - sooner or later.

Edited by Daven

The NGH is now a major trauma centre and has to have neuro surgery and head and neck surgery services onsite - patients can't be ferried several miles across the city. Logic suggests that these services will be relocated to NGH when they are able. Lots of work has had to be done at RHH to bring it up to date with what is required for a 21st century facility.

I didn't say that STH Trust didn't see RHH as a vital part of the work they do but all acute services will have to be moved to NGH to fulfill it's Major Trauma Centre criteria - sooner or later.

Patients are already regularly ferried across from the NGH A&E to the RHH immediately into surgery or onto the ward for their treatment.

So maybe you should tell the Neuro department and the people who run STH that they have to move across to the NGH, because they don't see to realise this themselves. They've just spend millions building a new NHDU and NITU taking up almost all off a floor of the RHH, and also are also planning on building some new high-tech neuro theatres.

Then there's the fact that the Neuro department also covers the children's hospital, so the consultants and their team work across the two different sites. I also cannot see Max-Fax being split too far from the Charles Clifford hospital.

One of many reasons, but the lift problem was a right blunder. The lifts were then too small for beds

Patients are already regularly ferried across from the NGH A&E to the RHH immediately into surgery or onto the ward for their treatment.

So maybe you should tell the Neuro department and the people who run STH that they have to move across to the NGH, because they don't see to realise this themselves. They've just spend millions building a new NHDU and NITU taking up almost all off a floor of the RHH, and also are also planning on building some new high-tech neuro theatres.

Then there's the fact that the Neuro department also covers the children's hospital, so the consultants and their team work across the two different sites. I also cannot see Max-Fax being split too far from the Charles Clifford hospital.

Millions had to be spent at RHH to bring it up to the required standard - the new facilities are beautiful and will keep the units working up to spec for a while longer - but because the MTC is at the NGH, plans had to be in place for future relocation of acute services on site. The same site where the air ambulance lands without the need for land ambulance transfer causing delays to treatment and extra movement of the casualty.

It will happen, not for a while, but it will happen - it has to if you consider it logically.

Regards

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 08:35 ----------

One of many reasons, but the lift problem was a right blunder. The lifts were then too small for beds

I believe the lifts were large enough to take a hospital bed but with no room either side for anyone to get in the lift with the bed.

It was dealt with quickly but caused some delay causing the building to be nicknamed 'faulty towers' at the time.

Edited by Daven

Ars Longa Vita Brevis

Art is long life is short.

Eh......,.....? :confused::confused: