Midhopstones village

I love the place and wonder if anyone has any information/history about the place, there doesn't seem to be much online.

There is some information on Google.

My first home was in Midhopstones. My mother was a W.A.F and was married to Ivor Dyson from Stocksbridge who was soldier in the R.A.F. and was serving in India.there was such a shortage of housing at that time that the only place we could find to live was in a green wooden hut on the corner of the main road that was just above the Midhope dam. My mother would walk from there to Garden Village where my father's family lived. There was no running water, and my mother told me that she had to go across the road to a farm house for water every day. I'm told we were there for 18 months until we were united with my father in India. The hut was there for many years but on my last visit the some twenty years ago it had been demolished.

I love the place and wonder if anyone has any information/history about the place, there doesn't seem to be much online.

Wikipedia has a ton of info on the whole area and history going back to the 13th century.

my wife who is now 70 ,her grand father lived in a farm which is now called persian stud but was turfed out by the balifs but not before he'd held them at bay with a shotgun.

After leaving he set up a shed at the side of the main road to manchester with big drums of petrol and sold it to passing motorists and also made pans of beef stew which aquired the name Clarkies ash.

it is quite possible and highly likely that your wife's father was the farmer my mother got her water and help from. I am the same age as your wife so would have been there at the same time. does she remember the old green hut that was there for years?

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 20:23 ----------

sorry that would have been her grand father not her father.

I live in Midhopestones now. In what used to be a barn on the A616 Manchester Rd. Anyone got any old photos?

It's part of Barnsley area along with Langsett, probably worth checking their archives

It isn't Barnsley. My sister lives across from the Mustard Pot and what was the old village school. She pays her council tax to Sheffield and doesn't have as many bins as me (a Barnsley resident)

Think the border is the far side of the Stocksbridge by-pass where the junction to Pensistne begins. People on that side of the by-pass come underBarnsley