Zero waste shopping

I'm new to Sheffield and interested in working towards minimal waste in our day to day lives. (Realistically in the UK it's probably impossible to be 'Zero' waste with plastic on everything!)

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy things - groceries mainly - without all the packaging?

When I was a kid I remember the scoop and weigh shops were common but I haven't seen any in years!

I'm new to Sheffield and interested in working towards minimal waste in our day to day lives. (Realistically in the UK it's probably impossible to be 'Zero' waste with plastic on everything!)

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy things - groceries mainly - without all the packaging?

When I was a kid I remember the scoop and weigh shops were common but I haven't seen any in years!

Markets and small independent shops?

Local greengrocers for your fruit and veg and the local butcher for your meat.

A proper good old greengrocer will still give you everything wrapped in brown paper, biodegradeable and all that.

Obviously your meat will come in a little plastic bag, but you wouldn't want a pound of mince in paper anyway!

or you can grow your own, always that option.

Local greengrocers for your fruit and veg and the local butcher for your meat.

A proper good old greengrocer will still give you everything wrapped in brown paper, biodegradeable and all that.

Obviously your meat will come in a little plastic bag, but you wouldn't want a pound of mince in paper anyway!

or you can grow your own, always that option.

How do you grow your own mince Geared?:hihi:

Thanks for your replies. I'm really keen to find some local markets. I know there's The Moor but are there any others about the city that might be easier to park near & to get to, any farm shops or veg box delivery services recommended?

How do you grow your own mince Geared?:hihi:

buy a cow and learn some knife skills

Thanks for your replies. I'm really keen to find some local markets. I know there's The Moor but are there any others about the city that might be easier to park near & to get to, any farm shops or veg box delivery services recommended?

I may be missing something but wouldn't driving there somewhat undo the benefits of creating less waste?

Beanies do a good veg box delivery service.

buy a cow and learn some knife skills

A calf not a cow.;)

A calf not a cow.;)

Have you ever wondered how to get triangles from a cow?

Beanies do a good veg box delivery service.

but surely they're still driving the product to you in a van?

I thought about this not long ago and it would be very hard

Another thing is so much packaging still says 'not currently recycled'

Unless you lived within walking distance to a market where you could buy everything that wasn't wrapped in cellophane and plastics then it would be do - able

but surely they're still driving the product to you in a van?

Aye but if they are doing multiple deliveries on the same street (as on mine) that's fewer journeys. Or going by bus to Moor Market is another option except for people who can't physically manage it.