Zero waste shopping

I haven't actually been to The Moor market yet - it's quite far from me but I had a little look around courtesy of google street view. As far as I can see most of everthing is covered in plastic.

I have been to visit 'Just natural' green grocers in Crookes - they had a few things loose - some of the fruits and some of the veggies but not a lot more than a supermarket might. They had some loose snacks but it was mostly sugary things like dried fruits and chocolate covered stuff. I was hoping for wholefoods such as grains, pulses, nuts and that sort of thing sold loose or in reusable containers rather than the usual non-recyclable plastic film.

So far Lidl and a couple of small green grocers seem to be the best places. Lidl stock loose almonds, peanuts, pistachios and quite a few of their veg are loose too. A local butcher said they would be happy to sell meat to me in any container I bring from home. I've bought some reusable mesh produce bags from a company called 'Onya' ('Onya Weigh' bags) and so far used them in Tesco, Waitrose and Lidl without any problem. :)

Hopefully this sort of thing is catching on and more food stuffs will be available without the packaging. Would love to hear from anybody else about their zerowaste purchases around the city.

You don't say which area of Sheffield you are living in so it would be difficult for anyone to recommend anywhere but the city centre to you. If you could give the first two digits of your post code Or the name of the area you might get more useful replies. I often pop in to Sharps on South Street(bottom of the Moor where the buses stop)when I go into town and Aldi also near the city centre. but many local small shopping centres have greengrocers who sell from the box rather than prepack.

Have you ever wondered how to get triangles from a cow?

Haha!

Butter,Milk,Cheese, and a little bit of time.

Takes me back a few years.

Haha!

Butter,Milk,Cheese, and a little bit of time.

Takes me back a few years.

Butter, milk and cheese and an equilateral chainsaw :)

---------- Post added 04-05-2016 at 21:57 ----------

I haven't actually been to The Moor market yet - it's quite far from me but I had a little look around courtesy of google street view. As far as I can see most of everthing is covered in plastic.

I have been to visit 'Just natural' green grocers in Crookes - they had a few things loose - some of the fruits and some of the veggies but not a lot more than a supermarket might. They had some loose snacks but it was mostly sugary things like dried fruits and chocolate covered stuff. I was hoping for wholefoods such as grains, pulses, nuts and that sort of thing sold loose or in reusable containers rather than the usual non-recyclable plastic film.

So far Lidl and a couple of small green grocers seem to be the best places. Lidl stock loose almonds, peanuts, pistachios and quite a few of their veg are loose too. A local butcher said they would be happy to sell meat to me in any container I bring from home. I've bought some reusable mesh produce bags from a company called 'Onya' ('Onya Weigh' bags) and so far used them in Tesco, Waitrose and Lidl without any problem. :)

Hopefully this sort of thing is catching on and more food stuffs will be available without the packaging. Would love to hear from anybody else about their zerowaste purchases around the city.

Try Lembas, although it's a bugger to find.

You don't say which area of Sheffield you are living in so it would be difficult for anyone to recommend anywhere but the city centre to you. If you could give the first two digits of your post code Or the name of the area you might get more useful replies. I often pop in to Sharps on South Street(bottom of the Moor where the buses stop)when I go into town and Aldi also near the city centre. but many local small shopping centres have greengrocers who sell from the box rather than prepack.

I'm in S6. When out and about I'm generally somewhere between Hillsborough and the ring road/Crosspool/Sharrow area so any recommendations in these areas would be ideal. I went to Ozmen Market in Sharrow the other day and there were quite a few things available loose or in bulk (bulk is sometimes the only option it seems!) I'm interested in trying Lambas - that might be a good option for bulk if not loose goods.

Just natural is a good shop with minimal carbon footprint. However, Moor market is your best bet. How did you see inside it from Google Street view?

Just natural is a good shop with minimal carbon footprint. However, Moor market is your best bet. How did you see inside it from Google Street view?

I'll check out Moor market if you think it's worth a look - from the pictures I saw heaps of fruit and veg in plastic but the google pictures aren't always recent so I shouldn't write it off! I'll get in to town and see for myself.

If you google the moor market there's a link to 'see inside' - lots of businesses these days are adding inside views to google street view. Actually Just Natural have done this too! :)

I ate an egg that had been in by fridge for some time. It had a date stamp, that said September, I hard boiled it, no waste, it was lovely ;)