Box set and binge viewing megathread.

23 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

100 code was a cracker. Had way more than one series in it.

If you like it snowy, theres always Fortitude. Series 1 was the best, but all worth watching.

Definitely.

Did fortitude have Christopher Eccleston in it? I think I started watching it when first broadcast but lost interest.

Modus is another Swedish police/serial killer series worth a watch.

Edited by Bargepole23

Raised by Wolves. Really enjoyed this sci fi drama. Bit Alien (Ridley Scott was involved, and it shows) and a bit  Riddick. Good effects and nicely set up for further series, although the last couple of episodes were a bit weird. 

Umbrella Academy.  Not a huge plot but lots of character development and the whole thing is a visual treat. Kate Walsh (of greys anatomy fame) continued to surprise.

The Serpent 

Ive really enjoyed this. 
The true story of the serial killer Charles Sobhraj, it’s great to look at, fast paced and well acted.

My only slight criticism would be the jumping backwards and forwards in time, it makes it a bit confusing if you don’t pay 100% attention to it.

Well worth a watch.

On 03/01/2021 at 08:23, nikki-red said:

The Serpent 

Ive really enjoyed this. 
The true story of the serial killer Charles Sobhraj, it’s great to look at, fast paced and well acted.

My only slight criticism would be the jumping backwards and forwards in time, it makes it a bit confusing if you don’t pay 100% attention to it.

Well worth a watch.

I watched the first part, but as you stated, the flashbacks going from one period to the next is a nuisance.

It looks a good series especially as its based on true events. 

However I'm not sure I can put up with info popping up "2 months earlier"... "4 months later" ... etc ..drives you mad.

On 03/01/2021 at 08:23, nikki-red said:

The Serpent 

Ive really enjoyed this. 

Well worth a watch.

I also enjoyed it once I got used to the flash backs and I agree it is well worth a watch.

NightStalker- Hunt for a Seriel Killer.

Incredible documentary on the hunt for Richard Ramirez who terrorised Los Angeles.

The series follows the investigation by the leading detectives, and looks at the crime scenes- Netflix viewers have complained about the graphic scenes.

The bridge (american/Mexican version - 2013). I enjoyed The Tunnel and series 1 follows this quite alot but the politics of the american/Mexican border feature very strongly. Couple of nice side plots which I don't really remember from the tunnel and it rattles along quite nicely. Decent enough acting from all concerned but a special nod to Matthew lillard as the drunk, lecherous journo. Series 2 deviates almost completely from the tunnel. Hidden away on sky - might be under the STV player if you have it.

Staged series 2.

Brilliant comedy series where Michael Sheen and David Tennant (plus their real-life partners) play hyper-exaggerated versions of themselves speaking to each other over Zoom during the pandemic when they're all unable to work on a fictional theatre play.

2nd series goes meta as they reveal that the 1st series was actually a TV series and now there are plans for it to be remade for American TV but the US

producers don't want either Michael or David and are instead going to reshoot it with famous actors...

Very short episodes so didn't take long to blast through the whole series but it was great. There was one particular line from Phoebe Waller-Bridge that made me laugh so loud I think I might have woken my neighbours up.

Keeping on the Comedy front, after Bill Bailey's famous Strictly win I started searching for him on Netflix and discovered a gem of a series I missed first time round, Black Books - Brilliant!

I've been watching various European dramas from 'Walter Presents' on My 4. The last one I watched was 'Locked Up' from Spain about life in a women's prison which is fantastic but has graphic scenes of sex and violence. There are 51 episodes but it was worth the long journey. I'm now watching 'Nordic Murders' which is set in Germany but never mind.