Box set and binge viewing megathread.

1 hour ago, taxman said:

I enjoyed the first few episodes but then I just got frustrated by the tired old trope of the boss who doesn't believe the officers. And are you really telling me CSI wouldn't have found traces of them at the hanging?

I've just watched 6 hours of Wolf Hall in one sitting. Mark Rylance is mesmorising and Damien Lewis a revelation.

It was fairly predictable but I enjoyed it as it was reasonably well made. I like crime shows set in London, visually speaking. I recognise some places and it has a different light compared with American ones.

In the mean time, it Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. Not to be confused - and I can’t stress this enough - the original penny dreadful. Part 1930s whodunnit, part supernatural hocum. Part west side story? Nathan Lane the standout so far by a mile, Natalie Dormer plays three roles and she excelled as the posh English one, pretty good but not as good as Tatiana Maslany (of orphan black fame) who sets a very high bar.

Over halfway through and you can see where it’s going an episode in (bar a very big twist which looks like it’s beyond the writers) but the production values are sky high, lots of period detail and 1930s downtown LA looks clean and crisp. A real mixed bag overall.

Wisting

Cracking Norwegian thriller, another one I originally missed when it was first aired.

Available on bbc iplayer, I recommend to watch.

Edited by Guest

Jericho

Series 1 & 2 (2006 - 2008)

Apocalyptical mischief leads to the little town of of Jericho (Kansas) and its occupants on a task to reform after the devastation of several nuclear bombs being exploded across the USA. Who are the good guys - Who are the Bad ones - you will have to decide.

Totally amazed We'd never heard of this.

Both of us fully enjoyed this.

Yes there are holes in the plot and some of the characters seem to disappear for a while in between story lines but all in all excellent believable (?)(ish) scenarios with mostly good acting and characters you either love or hate.

There is an ending and apparently an alternative was also filmed but a third series was cancelled. (for being too near to the truth?)

Not a spoiler but in the tradition of a Tom Sharp novel 'No one is Safe'.

Keep safe - Enjoy.

Fort Salem. Harry potter meets hunger games with a nod to Handmaid's tale (But no more than a nod). Interesting concept but fairly predictable plot line. It's got a second series, which I'll watch.

the Event. (2010-2011)

Me and Her That Should Be Obeyed have just watched all 22 episodes of this 2010-2011 TV series.

Gripping Alien invasion type thing only the Aliens are already amongst us and are planning to bring the rest of their kind here.

Of course they have better technology than we do and there's no stopping them - or is there?

Follow the President of the US and others as they try to stop the destruction of our civilisation.

Reminded me a little of 'V' without the Lizards and flying saucers.

Believable characters you will either love or hate,

Great acting and filming and a nice twist to the ending (that neither me or HTSBO saw coming) (but should have)

Not exactly left open for a second series and by the look at the time span since it was last released it doesn't look like a second series is on the cards - Which is a shame. 

fully enjoyed

Keep safe & binge at your own leisure.

On 17/07/2020 at 22:30, tinfoilhat said:

In the mean time, it Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. Not to be confused - and I can’t stress this enough - the original penny dreadful. Part 1930s whodunnit, part supernatural hocum. Part west side story? Nathan Lane the standout so far by a mile, Natalie Dormer plays three roles and she excelled as the posh English one, pretty good but not as good as Tatiana Maslany (of orphan black fame) who sets a very high bar.

Over halfway through and you can see where it’s going an episode in (bar a very big twist which looks like it’s beyond the writers) but the production values are sky high, lots of period detail and 1930s downtown LA looks clean and crisp. A real mixed bag overall.

It's weird that we had two very different shows, Penny Dreadful: City Of Angels and Perry Mason, that both had a prominent character inspired by the real life figure of Sister Aimee and what must have be the proto-mass media evangelical 'put a dollar in the box!' kind of church.

You're absolutely right about not confusing PDCOA with the original Penny Dreadful. The idea seems to be that they've used the name to draw in fans of the original for something that's barely the same genre. I thought there were too many storylines going on at the same time and they didn't really know what they wanted. If I'm being honest I thought that Natalie Dormer's characters were all a distraction from what might have been the seeds of an mildly interesting but absolutely non-supernatural story. The same goes for Thomas Kretschmann's storyline to a lesser extent.

The Rain (3rd and final series) 2018 - 2020.

Virus - yep another, pre virus, virus storyline that had me wondering how come we had so many virus related films and series etc before the actual thing blessed us with its presence?

Any way -  I'm glad it's over - the series that is (but you never know).

For those that haven't watched the previous two, the third carries on from the first two as our intrepid bunch of misfits try to come to terms with this virus.

Do they embrace the virus with its (strange) side effects or find a cure?, will the World survive?

I'm not going to tell you.

if you like spooky, strange, apocalyptical futuristic nonsense this is the thing for you.   

The third series got a little too dark for me at times but compensated with the final episode.

Watch - Enjoy

keep safe out there.

Penny Dreadful - did 2 episodes and dumped it, Perry Mason made 3.

Just watching the Reckoning which has hooked me for 7 of the 10 episodes. 

I started watching Prodigal Son but Sheen is an absolute disaster in it,so i'll see how it develops.

The Last Kingdom Season 4.

Excellent from start to finish and can't wait for another season.

27 minutes ago, apelike said:

The Last Kingdom Season 4.

Excellent from start to finish and can't wait for another season.

I agree with you about The Last Kingdom.  I loved  how Alexander Dreymon plays Uhtred. His accent also fits the part he is playing.

I know he is a German actor, but I thought he might make a good James Bond now D Craig is stepping down. 

Roll on the next season.

Edited by hauxwell

Impulse  (series 2)

Teleporting nonsense back for a second series and with out spoiling it left wide open for a third.

(although the 3rd series has been cancelled - for now).

I much preferred the film 'Jumpers' my self while HTSBO prefers Impulse, each to their own EH!

Keep safe.

'The most dangerous game' (TV series 2020)

Ok its a modern version of the 1924 book and the film first shown in 1932 but this 8 minute 15 episode (Yes 8 minute each episode) is watchable if not compulsive. You will have seen various versions on the same premise over the years but this apart from the punch line being so obvious from the very beginning was quite good in a quirky way. 

Give it a go.