Box set and binge viewing megathread.

9 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Binge viewing Mammoth event.

All 27 episodes of Sheffield's very own  'I didn't know you cared'.

Had to go to Utube America to watch it all in one go, 

Nice to take a trip back to 1970's Sheffield.

Most of the humour is very well written although the over use of some of the 'catch phrases ('I heard that' - 'pardon') are cringeworthy.

Lot's of places not there anymore, place that are still there and places you need to take a look on Google maps to quell curiosity.

For the most part the humour is good, racism only shows it head in the later series for some reason (?), the rest is good old 'slapstick and 'nudge-nudge-wink wink' stuff with visions of Sheffield chucked in.

Keeping up with the story line is easy.

Keeping up with Liz Smith's outrageously wardrobe is less so 🤣.

They must have had so much fun making this and the time spent in Sheff.

A few things mentioned in the series's to jog yer minds and baffle the younger members of SF.

Dolly Blue,

Condensed Milk Sandwiches,

Sanatogen Tonic Wine,

Halibut liver Tablets,

Spats,

Singlets,

Milkman's Horse,

Coalman's Horse,

Provident Cheque,

"I haven't fought through two world wars - for the likes of you"! (Hated that as a kid)

Mythering, 

Fully recommended, go on treat yer selves to a bit of 1970's Sheffield nostalgia .

Bonus for us we can even see my mothers house in one of the scenes 🤣.

Keep safe out there and binge responsibly 8).

Used to watch this as a kid but never got the Sheffield connection back then.

10 hours ago, top4718 said:

Used to watch this as a kid but never got the Sheffield connection back then.

What! :bigsmile: ! Big part of Sheffield was 'I didn't know you cared'.

We lived at Higfield's at the time and remember them filming up Myrtel Rd.

Didn't know they'd filmed even nearer to us, Sharrow St and Club Garden Rd.

Back then, once it had been on the telly it was in the ether (Aether), no box set's, Dvd's or Utube back then.

I'll re-open the 'I didn't know you cared, filming Locations' post again, and update it. 

Thanks to Google maps etc we can now visit the locations without even leaving home 🙃.

Not a spoiler, but in one of the later scenes Mort etc are stood in a 'bookies' doorway looking across the road towards the 'Ship inn.

Not a bad trick - it's 16.03 miles between Salmon St Highfields, & Dun St Swinton! Must have been a clear day 🤣🤣.

(AA route planners were something else we didn't have back then, unless you counted the graph at the back of your road atlas 🤣) .

Keep safe out there 8)  enjoy.

Raised by Wolves S2
The story of a group of children raised by two androids, set against the backdrop of a war between religious and atheist cultures (executive producer Ridley Scott).
It begins, as with S1, with great visuals but a so so storyline.
However with eps 4 and 5 there is a sudden change of pace, with aspects reminiscent of Prometheus.

Young Wallenda 2nd series.

Enjoyable enough, storyline that works well enough.

Worth watching.

Sense8 (tv series 2015-2018 - Netflix) from the creators of Matrix and Babylon 5.

Mary Whitehouse (Bless her) would have spun off her axis at this 👵

After the 3rd series was cancelled, the fans of the show caused enough of a stink for the 3rd series (or a proper ending) to be made as a 'one off' two & a half hour special.

I can't believe Sense8 hasn't been mentioned on here before,  anyway here goes. 

8 strangers from around this lovely planet of ours suddenly find out they are part of a group of people born 'Sensate's'  'Human' in every aspect, except they have the ability to 'Teleport' (for the want of a better word) to help each other in time of need.

And boy do they need help in the fast moving 'Them and us' storylines.

There is an element of 'Super Hero-ness' about the whole thing, Doona Bae plays 'Sun Bak' an expert in karate (but not very good at keeping all of her clothes on). Jamie Clayton plays Transgender Nomi Marks the love interest - Computer hacker girlfriend of Amanita (not a sensate) whom neither can keep their clothes on for very long (see where this is going?).

Miguel Angle Silvestre plays the all action super-hero Lito Rodriguez, film actor who hides the fact he's gay (you've got it, whom neither him or his boyfriend Hernando Fuentes played by Alfonso Herrera can keep their clothes on for long neither).

And the rest of the eight 'Sensate's' have the similar problem of keeping their clothes on throughout the series's.

(But never mind) The daft thing about it, no matter your preference, the 'Rat-a-tat, tat of machine guns' - 'Nakedness'- and 'Science fiction' storylines do actually work together, creating the strangest thing we've watched for a long while.

If your not of the 'shy retiring' type - find it out  😏 and enjoy.

My two favourite actors have to be the 'kooky' Ere'endira Ibarra  voyeur  friend of Lito & Hernando, and the 'soon as you look at him' extremely funny Michael X Sommers who plays the bonkers 'the Bug' computer hacking genius.

Can't go without mentioning  Sylvester McCoy as the 'Blue-Tartan' wearing  'Old Man of Hoy'

Keep safe out there and don't forget - binge responsibly 8) . 

The Ipcress file  (6 part ITV series).

Rose coloured spectacles? or are our spies, like Police Bobby's, getting younger these days :suspect: ?

Loved all the lovely Zephyrs n  Zodiacs etc but the slow-paced reworking of 'the Ipcress files' didn't break any new ground.

Ok Michael Cain's boots are going to be pretty big boots to follow at the best of times, but stuffin Joe Cole in a suit and Mac, or,  laugh upon laugh in an Army uniform will never disguise the fact the guy looks like a 13 year old Territorial Army recruit 🤣).

Another to avoid ?

As it's not been mentioned on here, looks like it already has 🤣.

See the source image

Edited by Rockers rule
-

7 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

The Ipcress file  (6 part ITV series).

Rose coloured spectacles? or are our spies, like Police Bobby's, getting younger these days :suspect: ?

Loved all the lovely Zephyrs n  Zodiacs etc but the slow-paced reworking of 'the Ipcress files' didn't break any new ground.

Ok Michael Cain's boots are going to be pretty big boots to follow at the best of times, but stuffin Joe Cole in a suit and Mac, or,  laugh upon laugh in an Army uniform will never disguise the fact the guy looks like a 13 year old Territorial Army recruit 🤣).

Another to avoid ?

As it's not been mentioned on here, looks like it already has 🤣.

See the source image

I binged this after the first episode came out but didn't want to talk about it in case others were watching it weekly.

I didn't have a problem with Joe Cole (after a period of adjustment after watching the first ep) as his quips and attitude was classic Michael Caine 'Harry Palmer'. My main problem with the series, which I did enjoy overall, was that it felt simultaneously cheap and expensive. They'd clearly spent a bit of money on the series but it felt like a rose-tinted nostagic version of the 1960s, too clean and all primary colours. More Austin Powers than Harry Palmer.

Spoiler

And that moped chase scene where she's supposed to be sneakily following that woman through the narrow empty streets was one of the silliest things I've ever seen. She was only about 10 yards behind her!

I did like that they'd kept the weird camera angles of the film version though.

I recently watched another Len Deighton Cold War spy TV series, the Ian Holm's starring 1988 adaptation of Berlin Game, Mexico Set and London Match 'Game, Set and Match' on Youtube. That was more to my tastes. Less Bond-y, more le Carré.

20 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

I binged this after the first episode came out but didn't want to talk about it in case others were watching it weekly.

I didn't have a problem with Joe Cole (after a period of adjustment after watching the first ep) as his quips and attitude was classic Michael Caine 'Harry Palmer'. My main problem with the series, which I did enjoy overall, was that it felt simultaneously cheap and expensive. They'd clearly spent a bit of money on the series but it felt like a rose-tinted nostagic version of the 1960s, too clean and all primary colours. More Austin Powers than Harry Palmer.

Reveal spoiler

And that moped chase scene where she's supposed to be sneakily following that woman through the narrow empty streets was one of the silliest things I've ever seen. She was only about 10 yards behind her!

Me and HTSBO  came to the same conclusion (as daft as it sounds) they were trying too hard to make it 1960's :suspect:  .

Station Eleven (based on the novel by Emily St. John Mandel)

A series about a number of people whose lives are all linked in some way to a failing actor who died on stage during a rendition of King Lear, on the same night that the world realised that a deadly flu virus was spreading, and an unpublished philosophical science fiction graphic novel created by an ex-wife of the actor that has a profound influence on future events for those same characters.

The narrative switches between the lives of the characters in the early days and years of the pandemic, as civilisation collapses and the few survivors try to stay alive, and 20 years after it where life has settle down in this new world and a troupe of musicians and actors constantly travel between survivor communities to provide entertainment, performing Shakespeare and try to keep the embers of culture alive.

I read the book some years ago and thought it was ok but it didn't really grip me. The series is just as slow paced and thoughtful but I think it worked a lot better, possibly helped by some great actors.

The Last Kingdom season 5

It can be a bit blood thirsty at times for me but I have enjoyed watching it.  This is the last season they are making however there is going to be a The Last Kingdom film which is expected to be realised next year.  

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

The Last Kingdom season 5

It can be a bit blood thirsty at times for me but I have enjoyed watching it.  This is the last season they are making however there is going to be a The Last Kingdom film which is expected to be realised next year.  

Just finished it too and I also enjoyed it very much with some surprising turns as well.

2 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Just finished it too and I also enjoyed it very much with some surprising turns as well.

I agree about the surprises.  Looking forward to the film next year.