Box set and binge viewing megathread.

After finding the 'free with ads' IMDB channel on Amazon Prime and seeing that it had some shows I've not seen in a while I'm now working my way through Babylon 5 and the original Magnum PI. The theme music for season 1 is appallingly misjudged... where's that classic Magnum theme music?

On 14/11/2021 at 19:37, tinfoilhat said:

Re watched Grim. Still enjoyable. 

Grim was excellent. Went way off the rails at the end though, just like Fringe, Warehouse 13,  Person Of Interest and whatnot.

Massive binge yesterday.

All 6 episodes of,

Irvin Welsh's 'Crime' (Britbox).

Big fan of Welsh's books.

Brief synopsis.

School girl goes missing, detective wants to link this crime into the usual, 'there's already someone doing time for those murders but he's never believed he was the real killer' scenario :suspect:.

Sound familiar? it is! :roll:.

Inject with Scottish humour, one liners, scenes and rant's, the thing works for the first three episodes :thumbsup:.

The next two episodes go as flat as a Scotch pancake :sad:

The first three episodes were on their way to (if we were giving scores) 10+, 'best thing since, 'sliced battered haggis' territory :thumbsup:

So what happens? the humour disappears, the plot line becomes stagnant and what ever magic the beginning had hold of you with, goes. 

Thankfully for the last episode the humour, one liners and rants do return, but somehow are not quite of the same caliber :huh:

Excellent acting, storyline and filming throughout :thumbsup:.

Although slated in some reviews Welsh's foray into 'crime drama' in my view, is as good as anything similar.

I'd certainly like to be following the same characters into more cases, and even like to see (for me) the slightly disappointing 'Filth' not only reworked in the same vein as 'Crime' but using the same characters.

Dougray Scott (Batman) plays hard hitting, determined, non-drinking, drinking drugtaking Detective Ray Lenox, with more problems of his own without trying to avoid the drink and drugs every day 🥴.

Jamie Sives  plays the totally PC un-correct, out of the Ark, say it as it is, Detective Dougie Gillman & gives probably the best line in the series, "Froggy goes a courtin", you won't have to wait long to see it in context 🧐.

Angela Griffin has done well for herself since her Waterloo and Corri days & complements the storyline well playing Ray Lenox's girlfriend,

But, soon finds herself in a side story line that's as good as anything that's going on else where.

Ken (dry as dry can be) Stott doesn't even have to say anything for me.

Thankfully, he does, the Rant's, one-liners and even a simple look from him and i'm gone.

Yes, it is worth watching, just a shame it runs a little flat in the middle :sad:

(Subtitles aren't available :blush:)

Keep safe out there 8)

& Binge responsibly)

That's it I'm off to re-felt one of mi shed's roofs 🧐 

Godless

The series is a western drama set in America in 1884.  An outlaw who is on the run ends up in a small town where there is very few men, it’s mainly populated and run by women. 

I wasn’t sure if I was going to continue to watch it after the first episode but I’m pleased I did.  After watching the second episode I found myself wanting to binge watch the rest of the series. There’s 7 episodes in the series.

I thought it was very good and it left me wanting to watch more of Godless.

On 22/11/2021 at 17:32, hauxwell said:

Godless

The series is a western drama set in America in 1884.  An outlaw who is on the run ends up in a small town where there is very few men, it’s mainly populated and run by women. 

I wasn’t sure if I was going to continue to watch it after the first episode but I’m pleased I did.  After watching the second episode I found myself wanting to binge watch the rest of the series. There’s 7 episodes in the series.

I thought it was very good and it left me wanting to watch more of Godless.

Agree, fantastic series that also left me wanting to see more.

They could easily make a 2nd season as there is potential to build on from the ending.

I also recommend The Harder They Fall, starring Idris Elba, on Netflix.

6 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

Agree, fantastic series that also left me wanting to see more.

They could easily make a 2nd season as there is potential to build on from the ending.

I also recommend The Harder They Fall, starring Idris Elba, on Netflix.

It would be nice if they made a second season, as you say they could build on from the ending.   I was sorry when it ended.

I will make a note of The Harder They Fall especially now I know Idris Elba is in it, so thank you for the recommendation Mr Frisk.

Russian Doll 8/10

Feminist, Jewish, New Yawk time looping comedy drama in short punchy chunks. Great.

True Story  (Netflix)

Really surprised how well this was acted out by Kevin Hart. 

He plays exactly what he is in real life , a comedian and actor, but whose life goes way out of control.

Most of that reason is due to his bro, played by Wesley Snipes- who is also very good in this series.

The Night Manager (2016)

OK, I'm late to the party yet again.

It would be easy to pick holes in the plot line, but, the thing was enjoyable enough to be watchable.

Deutschland '83 - Really enjoyed this German made Cold War thriller, great soundtrack too.

38 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Deutschland '83 - Really enjoyed this German made Cold War thriller, great soundtrack too.

I’ll join in on something that I totally agree with.

Landed on this by chance and thought it was terrific.