Box set and binge viewing megathread.

22 hours ago, despritdan said:

I've been watching various European dramas from 'Walter Presents' on My 4. The last one I watched was 'Locked Up' from Spain about life in a women's prison which is fantastic but has graphic scenes of sex and violence. There are 51 episodes but it was worth the long journey. I'm now watching 'Nordic Murders' which is set in Germany but never mind.

Walter Presents is a great vein of European drama. The Team  Greyzone, Deutschland 83 and 86, all worth watching, among many others.

Love reading what people are watching and yes, trends have changed. European series with subtitles are now so popular with internet streaming channels. If you haven't seen it, you might want to try Spiral. 8 series on the BBC iPlayer to watch. Absolutely first class. Compares so well to best of the scandi series. Good watching. Get ready for a few late nights !!

It's not really a binge viewing since it was a weekly release but I've just finished watching Season 5 of The Expanse (don't worry, not spoilers) and I must say this show really deserves to be better known than it is. Proper science fiction, not like some of that godawful nonsense that's been spewed out in recent years (looking in your direction Star Trek: Discovery and Picard...)

Great characters, really well made and the attention they pay to the actual physics of space travel doesn't get in the way of the story, it's integral to it and enhances it. And they keep that story really close to the novels in a way I can really appreciate after seeing what Netflix did to my beloved Altered Carbon...

Anyway... if you haven't seen it all 5 seasons are on Amazon Prime and are worth the time.

26 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

It's not really a binge viewing since it was a weekly release but I've just finished watching Season 5 of The Expanse (don't worry, not spoilers) and I must say this show really deserves to be better known than it is. Proper science fiction, not like some of that godawful nonsense that's been spewed out in recent years (looking in your direction Star Trek: Discovery and Picard...)

Great characters, really well made and the attention they pay to the actual physics of space travel doesn't get in the way of the story, it's integral to it and enhances it. And they keep that story really close to the novels in a way I can really appreciate after seeing what Netflix did to my beloved Altered Carbon...

Anyway... if you haven't seen it all 5 seasons are on Amazon Prime and are worth the time.

I've got quite a bit of love for ST discovery, but the expanse is better. I've found, so far at least, the latest series to be a bit of a slow burn but I suspect the various threads will all pull together.

On 23/01/2021 at 13:06, sheffield77 said:

Love reading what people are watching and yes, trends have changed. European series with subtitles are now so popular with internet streaming channels. If you haven't seen it, you might want to try Spiral. 8 series on the BBC iPlayer to watch. Absolutely first class. Compares so well to best of the scandi series. Good watching. Get ready for a few late nights !!

Spiral has been on my to-watch list for an age. Currently watching the second series of Rebecca Martinson, which i might have misspelled. So far so good. First series is also good.

image.png

Having a 'Riverdale' binge. Just blasted through 9 episodes from the 4th series. It's teen-dirgedrama but the girls are hot and the villains are proper old-school JR Ewing-style dastardly. They're all looking a little too old for their parts now, so series 5 is probably a good time to stop. Still, there's plenty left to enjoy yet.

18 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I've got quite a bit of love for ST discovery, but the expanse is better. I've found, so far at least, the latest series to be a bit of a slow burn but I suspect the various threads will all pull together.

Just finished watching season 5 of The Expanse and thought it was very good, now just have to wait for 6. ST Discovery is OK but too OTT for me in some respects. 

Mr Inbetween 

This is a fantastic black comedy from Australia.

Absolutely got hooked on season one and was eager to get the 2nd season running.

The episodes are only 25min each so you get through quickly, but it's perfectly balanced. 

Loved every minute and hope the creators  do a 3rd season.

Afterlife.

Enjoyed this. It’s well acted and creepy in places, just gets a bit predictable at times.

Strange to see Andrew Lincoln with a British accent after watching him in what feels like a million episodes of the Walking Dead.

Absentia (season 2 and 3)

I watched the first season of Absentia when it first came out, thought it was ok but nothing special and didn't feel any interest in watching the subsequent seasons. That is, until lockdown boredom took hold of me...

Boy did this series take an unexpected left turn. It went from a story about an amnesiac FBI agent who has to try to find out who held her captive for 6 years whilst she's also being hunted by the FBI as the prime suspect in several murders to a globe-hopping conspiracy action thriller that gets increasingly silly and Bond-like.

That said, I enjoyed it. Some good action scenes and it filled a few empty hours adequately.

2 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

Absentia (season 2 and 3)

I watched the first season of Absentia when it first came out, thought it was ok but nothing special and didn't feel any interest in watching the subsequent seasons. That is, until lockdown boredom took hold of me...

Boy did this series take an unexpected left turn. It went from a story about an amnesiac FBI agent who has to try to find out who held her captive for 6 years whilst she's also being hunted by the FBI as the prime suspect in several murders to a globe-hopping conspiracy action thriller that gets increasingly silly and Bond-like.

That said, I enjoyed it. Some good action scenes and it filled a few empty hours adequately.

Im doing Castle again and i really wanted to like Absentia but i gave it a couple of goes and just couldnt get into it.