Box set and binge viewing megathread.

I've been bingeing my way through The West Wing (available as a boxset via All4) since Trump lost the election. Wanting to remind myself what a hopeful and relatively sane US Government looked like, even a Sorkin fantasy version of one.

Halfway through Season 4.

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Mindhunter. All about the start of the FBI behavioural unit in the late 70s, early 80s. Really good show this, nice to watch something that moves along at a thoughtful pace, lacking only in period touches compared with say, stranger things. Two leads (who aren’t big names) were good and it was nice to see Anna Torv from Fringe back on telly.  Sadly, after two series it’s getting cancelled which is a real shame, leaving a couple of big threads left hanging.

Give Manhunt a try, about the search for and subsequent interrogation and trial of the Unabomber. Very enjoyable IMO.

The Undoing

Been watching this short 6 part mystery series which centres around the death of a woman, with suspect falling on affluent doctor.

The star cast is good, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant and (I thought he was dead) Donald Sutherland.

Its been getting alot of reviews and drawn many viewers.

Its a slick drama, enough mystery thrown in but as the final was aired yesterday, a slight let down in expectation.

3 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

The Undoing

Been watching this short 6 part mystery series which centres around the death of a woman, with suspect falling on affluent doctor.

The star cast is good, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant and (I thought he was dead) Donald Sutherland.

Its been getting alot of reviews and drawn many viewers.

Its a slick drama, enough mystery thrown in but as the final was aired yesterday, a slight let down in expectation.

Ah, the show with 20 minutes of drama, 20 minutes of Nicole Kidman walking around New York in a big coat.     Executive Producer and did a Dennis Waterman and "sang the feem choon" too - kerching for her!

Even with just six episodes it dragged too much.    I think it would have been better slimmed down as a 3 parter.  

This review is pretty spot on:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/nov/30/the-undoing-series-finale-review-a-lesson-in-lowering-expectations

On 30/11/2020 at 20:31, Bargepole23 said:

Give Manhunt a try, about the search for and subsequent interrogation and trial of the Unabomber. Very enjoyable IMO.

This is good shout actually, thanks for that. Wouldn't have looked for it otherwise and it sort of leads on from mindhunter. I could probably be a special agent after this.

The Barrier (La Valla) on Netflix 

Spanish dystopian drama set 25 years after WW3.

Theres environmental disaster, a virus, a dictatorship and secret experiments. 
Im on episode 5 and really enjoying it so far.

The Boys (series 2). Still a bit bonkers but a really good, dark, superhero show. Two downsides. Karl Urbans accent. Awful, sub dick van dyke territory and it hasn't improved since the first series. He's brilliant otherwise. What's worse, to make his accent less noticeably awful, his family members have the same awful accent. You live with it, because that aside the show is first rate. The language is still very fruity so don't watch if you don't like lots of swearing.

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

The Boys (series 2). Still a bit bonkers but a really good, dark, superhero show. Two downsides. Karl Urbans accent. Awful, sub dick van dyke territory and it hasn't improved since the first series. He's brilliant otherwise. What's worse, to make his accent less noticeably awful, his family members have the same awful accent. You live with it, because that aside the show is first rate. The language is still very fruity so don't watch if you don't like lots of swearing.

That accent is brilliant.

The Valhala Murders

Thoroughly enjoyable Icelandic thriller.

Has been showing on bbc so can be found on the player.

One season, 8 episodes.

Definitely worth the binge.

4 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

The Valhala Murders

Thoroughly enjoyable Icelandic thriller.

Has been showing on bbc so can be found on the player.

One season, 8 episodes.

Definitely worth the binge.

I've got one episode to go.

Trapped is another good Icelandic thriller, also enjoyed DNA, set in Denmark, 100 Code set in Sweden.

45 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Trapped is another good Icelandic thriller, also enjoyed DNA, set in Denmark, 100 Code set in Sweden.

I'll look out for Trapped, cheers.

DNA I watched recently and it was ok, not as enthralling as Valhalla Murders.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

100 code was a cracker. Had way more than one series in it.

If you like it snowy, theres always Fortitude. Series 1 was the best, but all worth watching.

Edited by tinfoilhat