Box set and binge viewing megathread.

Ratched is worth a look at, but no where as good the original film,   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. 

Marcella- season one

Hadn't seen this when it aired on bbc,  so caught up on season 1 on a binge watch via Netflix.

Its a good series, typically follows the personal and professional life of DC Marcella.  The investigation is to stop a seriel killer, copying one she investigated 11 years earlier.

Worth a watch, reviews are generous.

Due to being unable to leave the house today 🙄 I started watching The Haunting of Bly Manor as soon as it dropped on Netflix this morning.

I couldn’t stop watching and finished the whole thing a couple of hours ago.

I loved it, it’s not scary but it’s beautiful, atmospheric and tragic.

Loosely based on The Turn of the Screw it’s loads better than most of the recent adaptations.

Great stuff. 

Band of Brothers. I'm not sure why it's taken me 19 years to watch this but it has. It's dated a little bit, I think a WW2 (Or any war drama for that matter) would be more nuanced than Americans good, Germans bad of made today. Some of the cinematography might be a bit flat for modern tastes.

But these are minor points in an otherwise superb 10 part drama. Well paced, lots of tension, quite emotional in parts too. Acting and script were good, the production values which were sky high then were still sky high. A couple of interesting interviews with some of the men who served was poignant and, nearly 20 years down the line, not likely to be repeated.

Well worth your time. 

Oktoberfest Beer and Blood -  (Netflix)

8 part story supposedly based on real events around how the Oktoberfest started to develop from it's almost humble beginnings.

Lots of intrigue, squalor, back stabbing, double dealing and dubious characters throughout.  

Excellent ending with a final twist that works well.

Fully Recommended.

Enjoy.

OOP'S nearly forgot Who ever Dubbed the thing for some strange reason decided a Birmingham accent would be better than something more Bavarian - ???????

and has been compared to Peeky Blinders because of it already.

like I say - strange.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Band of Brothers. I'm not sure why it's taken me 19 years to watch this but it has. It's dated a little bit, I think a WW2 (Or any war drama for that matter) would be more nuanced than Americans good, Germans bad of made today. Some of the cinematography might be a bit flat for modern tastes.

But these are minor points in an otherwise superb 10 part drama. Well paced, lots of tension, quite emotional in parts too. Acting and script were good, the production values which were sky high then were still sky high. A couple of interesting interviews with some of the men who served was poignant and, nearly 20 years down the line, not likely to be repeated.

Well worth your time. 

Its an excellent series, the follow up The Pacific is not as good but worth a watch.

‘Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps’

Did anyone ever watch this regularly? My ma & da did but the wife &  I only caught the occasional episode. What I mean is that I wouldn’t turn it off it it came on, but wouldn’t go looking for it either.
Stumbled across it again while scrolling through the BBC’s iplayer options.

Started at the very first episode. Watched three this morning. Everyone looks so young, and it hasn’t aged well (jokes about Coronation Street, Victoria Beckham, Ulrika Johnson etc) BUT the important thing is it’s still very funny.
Think I’ll carry on binging for a while.

Edge of Darkness. The original 80s BBC drama, remastered for Blu-Ray. I haven't seen this in a few decades and I think the last time I watched it it was on DVD and the picture quality was awful. This time it was beautifully clean. I'd forgotten just how good this series was and because it's been so long since I last saw it it's almost like watching a new series as I remembered so little.

LOVED 'Edge Of Darkness'. One of the outstanding TV programs from the 80s. Bob Peck's finest hour. I remember going out to buy Clapton's 12" single of the music from the series. Still got it somewhere.

It's one show I hope people never try to remake.

The Mandalorian -season 1

I held off  a while  watching  this, as have never been a die hard Star Wars fan.

It was brilliant,  in fact one of the best tv series I've seen and far, far better than some of the new SW prequels/ sequels.

Apart from the original 1977 film, then Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi- I never really liked the rest.

But The Mandalorian had me hooked. Its set 5 years after episode 6th, so around 1988.

Written and created by Jon Favreau so you know you're getting quality.

Mindhunter. All about the start of the FBI behavioural unit in the late 70s, early 80s. Really good show this, nice to watch something that moves along at a thoughtful pace, lacking only in period touches compared with say, stranger things. Two leads (who aren’t big names) were good and it was nice to see Anna Torv from Fringe back on telly.  Sadly, after two series it’s getting cancelled which is a real shame, leaving a couple of big threads left hanging.